Roker Park floodlights

Did Roker Park have the tallest floodlights in the league?
Just wondering cos I heard a mag song where they're taking the urine but when they sang that bit I sensed a bit of jealousy.
If anyone knows it, it's the 1 where the taking the piss 'Sunderland is a massive club'. You get your Hot dog sausage in a burger bun, you get a season ticket with your happy meal etc then it was, 'you got the tallest floodlights in the league'

HTL
It was my dad who installed them. I cannot recall that claim at the time and he was was not a shy man.

..sorry about that.....i was annoyed when he came out and said "Hello Newcastle"..
That's what it was then though weren't it? Always in their shadow, people asking 'where's Sunderland? Aw next to Newcastle'. Now we got our own city, we're even questions on quiz shows and I think that was all down to the football team to put us on the map
That's what it was then though weren't it? Always in their shadow, people asking 'where's Sunderland? Aw next to Newcastle'. Now we got our own city, we're even questions on quiz shows and I think that was all down to the football team to put us on the map. I mean in recent years not 92

Last edited:
Even the pre-60's lights were bright enough to illuminate my bedroom in Roker, a straight uninterrupted shot at them. If it was a night game I would open the curtains to catch the glow pretending to sleep waiting for my Dad coming in from the game, trying to guess the score from the Roker Roars. He would give me thumbs up/down as he walked up the path, I would close the curtains and got to sleep smiling or not smiling.

Even the pre-60's lights were bright enough to illuminate my bedroom in Roker, a straight uninterrupted shot at them. If it was a night game I would open the curtains to catch the glow pretending to sleep waiting for my Dad coming in from the game, trying to guess the score from the Roker Roars. He would give me thumbs up/down as he walked up the path, I would close the curtains and got to sleep smiling or not smiling.
Great post

It was definitely Leeds who used to claim they had the tallest floodlights in Europe or something. So basically, Man Utd have sung it about Leeds at some point and the thick bastards up the road have copied it but couldn't think of another line.

They're beyond parody, they really are...

I could spy the Roker lights from the Coast Road near Chirton. One night there was a midweek reserve game on. I noticed the lights from Wrekenton and could still make the light out from one or two pylons at the bottom of Leam Lane. Of course in those days we did not have an urban forest.

Back