Robocop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Can't believe I'm the first to quote this ...
"I had to kill bob Morton because he made a mistake, now it's time to erase that mistake"
Great film, fist watched when I was about 4 years old!

Parents let me watch it far too young. Would of been fine other than the bit where Murphy gets shot to pieces. That is as difficult watch as anything I've seen since.

Great film. Well ahead of its time.

Yup, it's all about top dollar now. Why cut a film's balls off by making it an 18 when you can get all the kids to watch it.

Mind we complain, but then when they do make one nobody goes to watch it :lol: although that's more to do with the fact it's not very good - Alien covenant, I'm looking at you!

You don't see kids quoting films like we did when we saw:
The Terminator
Aliens
Predator
Robocop
The Running Man
Total recall
Terminator 2

I miss those days :(

Great list but the last one was the start of the decline, cashing in on the success of the original with a 15 classification, which meant anyone over 12 could realistically go and see it.

Can't believe I'm the first to quote this ...
"I had to kill bob Morton because he made a mistake, now it's time to erase that mistake"
Great film, fist watched when I was about 4 years old!
:lol: Me anarl (think I was probably 5). :cool: Seen it loads but never seen it in years now. Had it on VHS for years but it went out with the jump to DVDs.

Great list but the last one was the start of the decline, cashing in on the success of the original with a 15 classification, which meant anyone over 12 could realistically go and see it.
The fact that film came with a full range of action figures says it all really. Still class though - probably my favourite film growing up. I had to have a git leather biker jacket when I was a bairn and me da got is this fuckin' mint toy Winchester shot gun with the lever action like Arnie's in the film. :cool: :lol:

Last edited:
Uncut? That looks like the original to me, or am I missing something and it's been dulled down like Auf Weidershen Pet?
That's from the uncut directors cut that was released a good few years after the original edited release. The directors cut is the staple version nowadays so there's a good chance that's the version you've seen anyway.
The ending has extra splatter not seen in the original version, which I must have watched countless times as a kid.

The rating the Hollywood films get at the top end* is an R rating though, they aren't that bothered about the UK certificate. Both of the original 2 Terminator films got an R rating in the US, although you can tell they toned it down for the second.

Their rating system is a bit weird, because a kid of almost any age can go and see what we would rate 18 so long as they're accompanied by a parent or guardian. And in the old days their version of PG had a wide range of stuff getting through, including swearing and tits.

What was happening in the late 80s / early 90s was R rated films (15/18 here) were capable of being big hits, like anything Arnie plus the Die Hard and Lethal Weapon series. Two things happened, firstly that those films went quite mainstream and secondly there was a bit of a backlash about the violence on our screens. Parents groups and the media pushed back and film executives noticed that Spielberg was getting decent amounts of action into his action films with a PG-13 certificate which is like our 12A but came in when Temple of Doom came out. You also had stuff like the Tim Burton Batman films.

Eventually it changed to now where an R rating means commercial suicide when you make a blockbuster, and very few people can manage to make big films on the level of those 80s action films. Teenage kids are such a huge demographic that they want it to be easy to pack them in and they all get watered down.

:lol: Me anarl (think I was probably 5). :cool: Seen it loads but never seen it in years now. Had it on VHS for years but it went out with the jump to DVDs.

The fact that film came with a full range of action figures says it all really. Still class though - probably my favourite film growing up. I had to have a git leather biker jacket when I was a bairn and me da got is this fuckin' mint toy Winchester shot gun with the lever action like Arnie's in the film. :cool: :lol:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...obocop+dvd&dpPl=1&dpID=51Z71WMTFNL&ref=plSrch

Treat yasel marra

What was happening in the late 80s / early 90s was R rated films (15/18 here) were capable of being big hits, like anything Arnie plus the Die Hard and Lethal Weapon series. Two things happened, firstly that those films went quite mainstream and secondly there was a bit of a backlash about the violence on our screens. Parents groups and the media pushed back and film executives noticed that Spielberg was getting decent amounts of action into his action films with a PG-13 certificate which is like our 12A but came in when Temple of Doom came out. You also had stuff like the Tim Burton Batman films.
I had to import my Indy box set from Australia just so I could have an uncut PAL DVD of that.

And coz I'm like that.

I'm pretty sure I watched it straight after Short Circuit :lol:

Me Dad had seen it at the cinema and said I'd love it. I remember him telling me i 'might not' like the bit where they shoot his limbs off :lol:

I had to import my Indy box set from Australia just so I could have an uncut PAL DVD of that.

And coz I'm like that.

Yeah, the BBFC used to be mental. Anything with kung fu in it instantly went up a rating to minimum 15. Nunchucks were censored out of films altogether. I remember going into the video shop (ask your parents) in the 80s and seeing all these films rated 15 or 18, you'd think each one of them was Texas Chainsaw or summit, but they were mostly very tame

Yeah, the BBFC used to be mental. Anything with kung fu in it instantly went up a rating to minimum 15. Nunchucks were censored out of films altogether. I remember going into the video shop (ask your parents) in the 80s and seeing all these films rated 15 or 18, you'd think each one of them was Texas Chainsaw or summit, but they were mostly very tame

Video shops in the 80s were class. Our local new I loved ninja films and was more than happy to rent them to me at 11 years old as he knew my dad let me watch them. Wasn't quite the same approach at Blockbuster

Video shops in the 80s were class. Our local new I loved ninja films and was more than happy to rent them to me at 11 years old as he knew my dad let me watch them. Wasn't quite the same approach at Blockbuster

Kids don't today understand the excitement of seeing the film you've been waiting for ages to see finally has the tape in the slot next to the title case, and the suspense as you reached for it hoping it wasn't the f***ing Betamax copy

The rating the Hollywood films get at the top end* is an R rating though, they aren't that bothered about the UK certificate. Both of the original 2 Terminator films got an R rating in the US, although you can tell they toned it down for the second.

Their rating system is a bit weird, because a kid of almost any age can go and see what we would rate 18 so long as they're accompanied by a parent or guardian. And in the old days their version of PG had a wide range of stuff getting through, including swearing and tits.

Eventually it changed to now where an R rating means commercial suicide when you make a blockbuster, and very few people can manage to make big films on the level of those 80s action films. Teenage kids are such a huge demographic that they want it to be easy to pack them in and they all get watered down.

Aye the last action film what really pushed the R rating what I can remember was Dredd and even though it was class it flopped so no doubt that put them off trying again

Aye the last action film what really pushed the R rating what I can remember was Dredd and even though it was class it flopped so no doubt that put them off trying again

It will have done OK once various platforms are taken into account, and part of the problem is it's not a huge character in the US and there were no major stars on board. Theoretically that sort of thing can do OK but they had to limit the budget to USD30M for Dredd when the R rated action films 87-95 were among the biggest budget productions of their time.

Another good example was Deadpool. Did great business (it helped it was part of Marvel, with a big name star) but to get it made the budget was USD58M when the 12 rated blockbusters costs 3 or 4 times that much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back