Rob Key and the Kookaburra ball

I honestly don't think anyone in the cricket hierarchy gives a shit who does and doesn't watch County Championship cricket.

In fact they may prefer if nobody watched it.....
That's true. But on the flipside if someone says on here that the CC has a problem as it loses money because it isn't watched and relies on ECB "handouts" from the test revenue, we're all very keen to say that they shouldn't be seen as handouts because the CC is about feeding the test team. Key is wrong on the Kookaburra here, but that is, kind of, what the CC is for.
Yeah I get the hierarchy want to prepare players to play for England but as others have said not sure this the right way to go about it.

Plus for the integrity of the competition it needs to be watchable and competitive, a couple of seasons ago imo too many flat wickets were produced and too many dull games.

Where last season much much better and more results and good for the game
Under Key England test side has been as watchable and entertaining as they have ever been, so don’t get the logic at all wanting the 4 day competition in this country not very watchable if too many draws
Perhaps he wants them to match the England style by batting more aggressively, declaring more aggressively, and earning wins rather than just playing in conditions that guarantee forty wickets and so a result whatever. There were bits of that in round two. I think Warwickshire might have done better than their all eggs in one basket tactic. And Yorkshire's declaration in Bristol was ridiculously cautious, as was Lancashire's whole first innings approach. Sometimes teams deserve to draw.

Last edited:

That's true. But on the flipside if someone says on here that the CC has a problem as it loses money because it isn't watched and relies on ECB "handouts" from the test revenue, we're all very keen to say that they shouldn't be seen as handouts because the CC is about feeding the test team. Key is wrong on the Kookaburra here, but that is, kind of, what the CC is for.
Well yes, that is one of the aims. Not the only aim though. There should be an aim to provide the fans who do watch and follow the counties entertaining cricket that's worth the month they pay.

If Robert Key's aim for the counties is to get prepared for playing in test matches in countries like Australia, playing County Championship games in early and mid April in England is not the way to go about it!

Perhaps he wants them to match the England style by batting more aggressively, declaring more aggressively, and earning wins rather than just playing in conditions that guarantee forty wickets and so a result whatever. There were bits of that in round two. I think Warwickshire might have done better than their all eggs in one basket tactic. And Yorkshire's declaration in Bristol was ridiculously cautious, as was Lancashire's whole first innings approach. Sometimes teams deserve to draw.
I have no issue with teams deserving to draw when backs against the wall and dig in, been some great games that way.

Where it is extremely bad for the game imo, is where draws simply happen because not enough time for it, as nothing at all in it for the bowlers and not even a chance of a result, used to see that regularly in the sub continent and it terrible for the game, like someone said earlier most games did not even get to a fourth innings never mind possible result,

I see his logic and the rationale behind it and can accept and respect your point, and also think some of the name calling towards him out of order, as agree with you he doing it for the right reasons.

However even saying that for him to claim the trial was a success is not only wide of the mark it’s miles wide of the mark and a tad insulting to peoples intelligence to suggest soo.

It would be terrible for the game of cricket if rounds of games ended up the way there did last time round no bones about it

Last edited:
I have no issue with teams deserving to draw when backs against the wall and dig in, been some great games that way.

Where it is extremely bad for the game imo, is where draws simply happen because not enough time for it, as nothing at all in it for the bowlers and not even a chance of a result, used to see that regularly in the sub continent and it terrible for the game, like someone said earlier most games did not even get to a fourth innings never mind possible result,

I see his logic and the rationale behind it and can accept and respect your point, and also think some of the name calling towards him out of order, as agree with you he doing it for the right reasons.

However even saying that for him to claim the trial was a success is not only wide of the mark it’s miles wide of the mark and a tad insulting to peoples intelligence to suggest soo.

It would be terrible for the game of cricket if rounds of games ended up the way there did last time round no bones about it
Well that was kind of my point. Even in round 2 the weather was pretty shit, but I think there were still results to go for in about half of the nine games. No one at all was really proactive about it. Warwickshire did a follow on strategy that I will defend but think was a bit overcautious all the same. We fought a good rearguard and could have lost on day four though. Surrey stumbled into a run chase they did nothing aggressive to create, and then had a bit of a go. Yorkshire's declaration was pathetic although they would argue that so was their bowling so they dodged a bullet. Lancashire could have done more. So, at pinch, could Essex. It's eight for a draw and sixteen for a win. It's zero sum. Go for it you boring bastards.

Well that was kind of my point. Even in round 2 the weather was pretty shit, but I think there were still results to go for in about half of the nine games. No one at all was really proactive about it. Warwickshire did a follow on strategy that I will defend but think was a bit overcautious all the same. We fought a good rearguard and could have lost on day four though. Surrey stumbled into a run chase they did nothing aggressive to create, and then had a bit of a go. Yorkshire's declaration was pathetic although they would argue that so was their bowling so they dodged a bullet. Lancashire could have done more. So, at pinch, could Essex. It's eight for a draw and sixteen for a win. It's zero sum. Go for it you boring bastards.
Yeah I totally get your wider point, and nobody promotes been positive and playing entertaining cricket more than me, and I have praised the England test side approach to the hilt, so there is always room for county sides to be more positive in their approach, and always think that the best approach

But that wasn’t the problem in the last round of matches mind imo, results were not happening because teams were been negative they were not happening because of the ball they were using, the balance was tipped far to far into the batsmans favour and if games continued like that and continue using that ball if not good for the game. County sides Durham been the prime example last season had already took a lot more positive approach and players know to get into the England side they looking for a certain type of player so the more positive approach already happening, think this a step to far and has lead to some farcical cricket.

Last edited:

Back