Road Bike

JonnyJarman

Midfield
I got a road bike (Trek Domane 4.0) before lockdown and have well and truly got the bug.
I am doing Carlisle to Sunderland route through Hexham etc and looking at the route strava has provided, it looks like there may be a few gravel paths.
As I am relatively new to this just wondering if anyone has done this route before and will I be ok doing it on a road bike or will I be carring it a few miles due to the terrain? It will be my first 50mile+ ride so just wanting a bit of guidance if possible. Also, if I can fit different tyres to my road bike may be an option? Cheers

I got a road bike (Trek Domane 4.0) before lockdown and have well and truly got the bug.
I am doing Carlisle to Sunderland route through Hexham etc and looking at the route strava has provided, it looks like there may be a few gravel paths.
As I am relatively new to this just wondering if anyone has done this route before and will I be ok doing it on a road bike or will I be carring it a few miles due to the terrain? It will be my first 50mile+ ride so just wanting a bit of guidance if possible. Also, if I can fit different tyres to my road bike may be an option? Cheers
If it's gravel you'll be fine. Go on Google earth

I was going to do this this year until I was injured, but want to do it. I thought it was old Roman road, then cut down from Hexham to Consett way and across to Sunderland?? There is the C2C track but plenty roads to use?? 80 mile I clocked it on maps. You getting train to Carlisle then riding back?

Got a new bike too. Since the I’ve done my ankle, had a gear issue, had cold, and done my ankle again. It’s been ridden 2 blooming miles! Gutted!

I was going to do this this year until I was injured, but want to do it. I thought it was old Roman road, then cut down from Hexham to Consett way and across to Sunderland?? There is the C2C track but plenty roads to use?? 80 mile I clocked it on maps. You getting train to Carlisle then riding back?

My mate wants me to do some C2C bike ride for charity. The route is 120 miles one way and he’s wanting to do it there and back (240 miles) within 24 hours. I’m not even sure that’s even possible? Haha most I’ve ever rode in the saddle is 65 miles this summer.

My mate wants me to do some C2C bike ride for charity. The route is 120 miles one way and he’s wanting to do it there and back (240 miles) within 24 hours. I’m not even sure that’s even possible? Haha most I’ve ever rode in the saddle is 65 miles this summer.
Possible but big ask, you best get training! Ask @DA on here, he is fit as fk and just done it!💪🏼

It took me 21 hours. You need to do some serious training.

Aye, I wasn’t gonna wing it mate. Sounds pretty hard in all fairness.
Just get used to big days out, don't neglect hills and practice fueling. I was unsupported so used shops for supplies. Alston, keswick and whitehaven, keswick and alston on the way home. You need decent lights, I used a head torch.

Back