Rise of the conspiracy theorists?

• Thread starter Deleted member 40035
  • Start date

Some people cannot think in my opinion, well don't want to.
My brother-in-law it a moon landing hoaxer, you can't talk to him about it (it descends into him going red in the face repeatedly shouting "have you been?!":lol: ) . You'll never change someone like that. You could certainly teach kids/adolescents as part of the national curriculum though.

You can't fix people "making stuff up"

You can teach critical thinking skills.
This 100%. We need to teach logic, rationalism and the importance of empirical evidence in helping individuals determine what is true and what is merely supposition or outright falsehoods.

The world would be a much better place if everyone had these skills.

My brother-in-law it a moon landing hoaxer, you can't talk to him about it (it descends into him going red in the face repeatedly shouting "have you been?!":lol: ) . You'll never change someone like that. You could certainly teach kids/adolescents as part of the national curriculum though.

If that's the case do you have to stop all fiction writing?

Why do we believe that crap though?
People are seeing meaning and significance when it isn't really there.

when people stopped thinking for themselves.

imagine being told to beware slippery conditions are dangerous

washing up detergent is not for drinking etc

so now the reverse happens, if you are not told it is dangerous, people think it is safe

I am not clever enough to go for a uni degree, but just about every assignment my wife had was "criticise"

never ever, compare and explain the pro and cons

I know this, as that the week before assignments being handed in, I was up to 2am reading them and suggesting reorganising the wording etc and making suggestions.

so crazy mixed up view if told not dangerous, then its ok. everything you are told is rubbish.

the second point reinforces the first point. so therefore no line of decision making

your brother in law sounds like a sensible chap to me

Interesting point at the start about people needing a villain, somebody to blame even if there is no clear substance. There was a bit of a political thing going on a while ago where half the country were angry about a particular organisation, but the most common reported reasons for that anger were not based on, and in many cases were the opposite of the facts.

The reality was that there were problems in society but the reasons for this were complicated and takes a lot to understand them all. No one thing you can pin blame to, then along comes the idea that it is all down to this one organisation and suddenly the source of the problem has a name, someone is to blame, people can focus on that but even better, belong and bond to people who are also focussing on that. Powerful stuff really if played right.

Back