RIP Scott Walker

Godlike genius, as Julian Cope put it. Really strange feeling today - he was the influence behind so many artists I liked, and the voice I always sing with in my dreams. So many great songs you've all shared on here, and then the late period weirdness that's just as much part of the picture, just...for a different part of your head.

As a Brel completist - his covers were the best in English, by far, as well as the first. Suaver, more polished, less strange, perhaps, but no less desperate. For all its liberties with the original text, this one used to make me cry...

By the way...all-time great artist-as-troubled-genius album cover, right there...

Godlike genius, as Julian Cope put it. Really strange feeling today - he was the influence behind so many artists I liked, and the voice I always sing with in my dreams. So many great songs you've all shared on here, and then the late period weirdness that's just as much part of the picture, just...for a different part of your head.

As a Brel completist - his covers were the best in English, by far, as well as the first. Suaver, more polished, less strange, perhaps, but no less desperate. For all its liberties with the original text, this one used to make me cry...

Yeah but was he a better chanter than Robson Green?

Oh, yes. The Drift is one of my favourite albums. Love "Clara" in particular , which I believe is the one that involves punching the pork (not a euphemism)

Tilt, The Drift, Bish Bosch and the aforementioned Sunn O))) collaboration Soused were all absolutely outstanding, yet this phase of his career doesn't even warrant a mention in the BBC obituary:

Rock enigma Scott Walker dies aged 76

Personally I can live without the crooning stuff.

Back