RIP Scott Walker

Bona fide genius.
Loved everything he did except the Brel covers, though I suppose JB didn't object to the royalty cheques.
Produced some of the most beautiful and thought provoking music ever written.

Last edited:

Bona fide genius.
Loved everything he did except the Brel covers, though I suppose JB didn't object to the royalty cheques.
Produced some of the most beautiful and thought provoking music ever written.

Interesting! What was it you didn't like about the Brel covers? I've always been grateful to him for introducing me to Brel, he was years ahead of Bowie and Marc Almond.

My second favourite vocalist after Tim Buckley, I know every note of those first 3 solo albums. The self-written Scott 4 gets all the praise but I miss the mad arrangements of songs like Mathilde, Jackie and Next. I've enjoyed seeing the tributes today from such a wide range of artists and I think Mark Hollis would have been among them if he had hung around a while longer.

Interesting! What was it you didn't like about the Brel covers? I've always been grateful to him for introducing me to Brel, he was years ahead of Bowie and Marc Almond.

It was Bowie that got me into Brel; I didn't seek out the Scott versions until after that. In those pre-instant gratification days it took some effort:)
But once I got into Brel, I just never liked any of the many cover versions of his songs. All of them (to me) lacked the depth, subtlety, vulnerability and occasional menace of the originals.
The only exception I've heard is "Next" by SAHB. Which surely should be on the shortlist of best cover versions of any song ever. It's also possibly the Brel song that works best in the English translation.
Apologies if I've ventured into pseud's corner.:D

Last edited:
But once I got into Brel, I just never liked any of the many cover versions of his songs. All of them (to me) lacked the depth, subtlety, vulnerability and occasional menace of the originals.

I have quite a bit of Brel's stuff, and I love the sound of it, and watching him perform, but my shitty command of the French language will always be a bit of a barrier to full enjoyment!

It was Bowie that got me into Brel; I didn't seek out the Scott versions until after that. In those pre-instant gratification days it took some effort:)
The only exception I've heard is "Next" by SAHB. Which surely should be on the shortlist of best cover versions of any song ever. It's also possibly the Brel song that works best in the English translation.
Apologies if I've ventured into pseud's corner.:D
possibly one of my favourite songs ever Next.

RIP.
1. No Regrets
2. The Sun Ain’t Gonna Shine Anymore
3. Montage Terrace On Blue
4. Lines
5. Make It Easy On Yourself.

Bollocks to Brel. The wacky later stuff wasn’t my cup of tea tbh.

Anyone remember his Saturday night TV show? Twas In the Cilla and Lulu and Cliff slot about 8ish iirc.

Anyway shall I tell my Scott Walker story on here AGAIN? EH? Awwwwwh gan on riffraff I hear you cry. OK then ( it’s not that good tbh). Anyway about 30yrs ago I was working in Battersea I think it was and a new painter n decorator came on site. After a few days The Walker Bros came on the radio and I was howling along with them much to the decs amusement. When it finished he said SW had turned up on his last site as a P&D, he stayed a few days but when someone recognised him he nivver came back the next day. Must’ve been skint.

Back