RIP Ray Heslop

My late mothers cousin no family links anymore due to age gap and me being the youngest my condolences to the family rip Ray.
would he have had a brother named Ian by any chance? Im not on a wind up and I dont mean theHIGNFY guy..its just I know an Ian heslop from the north east?
From Boldon colliery originally I think.

Last edited:

My late mothers cousin no family links anymore due to age gap and me being the youngest my condolences to the family rip Ray.

From Boldon colliery originally I think.
Im afraid i dont know the geography of the north east well enough to know if boldon colliery is near south shields? its just the ian heslop i know is a Mag, and all his family are Mags except one brother,....but they are south shields i think/?

Remember him from starting on the away days back in 92/93.....him and Billy checking for beers as you got on the bus.

RIP
Came back from Luton once, harsh winters day, bloody freezing, Billy Simmons had given us all a lecture about no alcohol on the coach.
I had some whisky and offered some quietly to Billy who was in the seat in front of me. “Aye son, will do thanks, it’s a bit parky isn’t it!” 🤣

Last edited:
Is this the Ray Heslop who used to work at Plessey in South Shields? If so, I worked with him in the early 80s and we both used to travel on the Travel Club buses. He was a really lovely bloke, and his daughter used to go to most of the away games with him.

One thing I remember about Ray, he was the first person I ever heard say that a goalkeeper "dove" the wrong way! I must have had a sheltered upbringing! :)
Went on rays bus a few times always had time for ya rip ray
Took me a while to work out what "ya rip ray" was - I was thinking if it's the Ray Heslop I knew, he would never have been up for a bit of "ya rip ray", whatever it was - he was far too reserved for that!

Last edited:
Came back from Luton once, harsh winters day, bloody freezing, Billy Simmons had given us all a lecture about no alcohol on the coach.
I had some whisky and offered some quietly to Billy who was in the seat in front of me. “Aye son, will do thanks, it’s a bit parky isn’t it!” 🤣
Man United away in the FA cup we'd stopped at the services at Huddersfield and Billy spotted two lads with cans.... Billy simply said you're not getting back on and left them at the Services!

Is this the Ray Heslop who used to work at Plessey in South Shields? If so, I worked with him in the early 80s and we both used to travel on the Travel Club buses. He was a really lovely bloke, and his daughter used to go to most of the away games with him.

One thing I remember about Ray, he was the first person I ever heard say that a goalkeeper "dove" the wrong way! I must have had a sheltered upbringing! :)

Took me a while to work out what "ya rip ray" was - I was thinking if it's the Ray Heslop I knew, he would never have been up for a bit of "ya rip ray", whatever it was - he was far too reserved for that!

Yes, it will be the same Ray Heslop

Im afraid i dont know the geography of the north east well enough to know if boldon colliery is near south shields? its just the ian heslop i know is a Mag, and all his family are Mags except one brother,....but they are south shields i think/?
Are you saying Uncle Ray's family are mags or Ian's?
no notdifferent spelling, ian heslop is the person I know, though of course he may not be related at all.
Ah. His brother was Edward (my dad).
People through my life have confused surnames

Last edited:

Back