RIP Ray Heslop

For those who knew Uncle Ray, and those who knew of him, thank you for all your lovely words.
I managed to get to see him at home for the first time since before lockdown the other weekend. He wasn't well but perked up when I wanted to know the score of the Blackpool -Lincoln playoff final.TV on and he forgot his woes for a while. Typical of him really.
Think he hung on for his 60th wedding anniversary last week, to Auntie June, then got an infection on top of his Chemo when he was too weak to fight it off.
As a young lad he got polio really badly and it was touch and go. His big sisters mates promised to take him to the match if he got better and that was a spur to recovery. He's hardly missed a match in 70 odd years.
He talked about Charlie Hurley being his favourite all time player.
Next Wednesday its fitting to say he isn't having a church service, but the plan (up to now) is for the hearse to pass the SoL, as Sunderland was his religion.
RIP Uncle Raymond. Thanks for all the great memories and stories.

Great bloke. Genuine SAFC supporter. Respect.
That story above illustrates why we have one of the best fan bases in the world. Despite being constantly let down people like Ray never turned his back on our club.

Last edited:
RIP Ray I will always remember the early morning buses from Concord to away games. He would always look out for you and have a laugh with everyone. Great character.

I remember us three quarters of the way to Tranmere and the game getting called off so we had a decision to make and we ended up taking the bus to Everton V Norwich and we all went into the Norwich end. Great days.

RIP ❤

For those who knew Uncle Ray, and those who knew of him, thank you for all your lovely words.
I managed to get to see him at home for the first time since before lockdown the other weekend. He wasn't well but perked up when I wanted to know the score of the Blackpool -Lincoln playoff final.TV on and he forgot his woes for a while. Typical of him really.
Think he hung on for his 60th wedding anniversary last week, to Auntie June, then got an infection on top of his Chemo when he was too weak to fight it off.
As a young lad he got polio really badly and it was touch and go. His big sisters mates promised to take him to the match if he got better and that was a spur to recovery. He's hardly missed a match in 70 odd years.
He talked about Charlie Hurley being his favourite all time player.
Next Wednesday its fitting to say he isn't having a church service, but the plan (up to now) is for the hearse to pass the SoL, as Sunderland was his religion.
RIP Uncle Raymond. Thanks for all the great memories and stories.
I knew your uncle a true and loyal friend and Sunderland supporter RIP.

RIP Ray
I've loads of stories about the man.
Firstly from the days if the "one A cafe" football team in the shields league, to many away game after he left the Travel club to join safcsa.
A huge man who you could look up to.
Sunderland Afc has lost one of its finest.
God bless you june and Jean.

RIP Ray
I've loads of stories about the man.
Firstly from the days if the "one A cafe" football team in the shields league, to many away game after he left the Travel club to join safcsa.
A huge man who you could look up to.
Sunderland Afc has lost one of its finest.
God bless you june and Jean.
I played for the One A as well, when they were ran by Ronnie and Ray

Travelled with them a few times during the 90-91 season, drinking blastaway from a Lilt bottle was the way to get booze on the bus.
RIP Ray

Ray worked with my mam at GN Netcom, after my dad left press/amec to go offshore I didn’t have anyone to take me to the matches.

Ray offered to take me, picked me up and dropped me off every home game for years. Not only that he took me to the away and reserve games with Jean and the late billy Simmons.

Ray was one of life’s good people, never had a bad word to say about anyone, and put others ahead of himself.

RIP Ray x

I remember being on the bus to Swindon and it being called off, ended up at Sheff Wed v Southampton. Ray wouldn't go in the away end as Lawrie Mac was involved at the time.

Im afraid i dont know the geography of the north east well enough to know if boldon colliery is near south shields? its just the ian heslop i know is a Mag, and all his family are Mags except one brother,....but they are south shields i think/?
Yes I think it's the same family on my grandmothers side.I remember years ago me and my wife got talking to him at the match and I explained to her who he was and she said I looked like him.
If it hadn't been for this post I wouldn't of known of his passing.
My condolences go out to his family and friends.
Ah. His brother was Edward (my dad).
People through my life have confused surnames
Yes definitely Heslop my grandmother was his aunt & he was my mother's cousin from the Washington area.

Last edited:

Back