RIP Poledancer - Podgy

Status
Not open for further replies.

just spoke to me mate in canada(from roker) who knew him, pretty gutted tbh

everyone speaks very highly of him

Aye, at the time I don't think anybody realised how much it had affected him.
I also didn't realise he was actually planning to stop in your digs in dusseldorf, mind.

We would have had the pleasure of his company outside 'The Off Licence' every night :-D
Slumming-It with 'Us Tramps'. :-D

Haha - is this another username? JT?

You could be right.
But for some strange reason, I had 'auntie' fixed in me mind.
I actually went back through my emails, before i posted the story.
To june and the run-up to the friendly tour.
But i must have deleted that one, although there was other ones from him still stored.

I've just checked through me emails and it was his auntie who was called Bet and apparently followed Sun'land since she was 13 and 'a diamond' according to Podge.

Never met him (don't know how, every other bugger has), had a couple of "discussions" with him, particularly on the cricket board and always took his attitude with a pinch of salt.

Amazing how many people are remembering him on here and the Barmy Army website, don't how he managed to meet so many people never mind make such a good impression with them.

Mentioned it on facebook to a guy I used to work with in Manchester who now lives in Adelaide. He said he'd met George a few times on Ashes tours and said he and mutual friends were devastated by the news. Mental how many people remember him so fondly. Wishing I had met him.

RIP George, I hope you have found some peace, terrible news, liked to wind a few up but was a decent poster and sounds like he was a one of the good guys.

Never met him (don't know how, every other bugger has), had a couple of "discussions" with him, particularly on the cricket board and always took his attitude with a pinch of salt.

Amazing how many people are remembering him on here and the Barmy Army website, don't how he managed to meet so many people never mind make such a good impression with them.

Mentioned it on facebook to a guy I used to work with in Manchester who now lives in Adelaide. He said he'd met George a few times on Ashes tours and said he and mutual friends were devastated by the news. Mental how many people remember him so fondly. Wishing I had met him.

It's people like you (sorry to single you out) who I feel sorry for. Those who never met the kind, generous, all knowing, life and soul of every party, George and just knew the angry, winding people up persona that he was as Poledancer/Podgy/Enigma on "this f***ing sad message board."

We first heard of the sad news as we got off our coach at Peterborough on Saturday. The lads who travel with our branch (Sedgefield) who knew Podgy were devastated by the news. He was an awesome guy who would do anything for anyone. He was a face everyone recognised home and away. On behalf of the Sedgefield Sunderland Supporters Branch I would like to offer our deepest condolences to George's family and close friends. He will be sadly missed by all at SAFC.

RIP MY FELLOW MACKEM.

Well there's another New Years Resolution broken, but ...

WOAHH!!!! from memory, didn't the radgie gadgie have a bit of a bee in his bonnet about being called a mackem? I seem to remember him preferring a Wearsider or a Barbary Coaster?

Only met him a couple of times, but seen him around loads over the years, and as just about everyone has said, a sound bloke, and about a dedicated a Sunderland fan as you could ever wish to meet.

RIP Podge

Well there's another New Years Resolution broken, but ...

WOAHH!!!! from memory, didn't the radgie gadgie have a bit of a bee in his bonnet about being called a mackem? I seem to remember him preferring a Wearsider or a Barbary Coaster?

Only met him a couple of times, but seen him around loads over the years, and as just about everyone has said, a sound bloke, and about a dedicated a Sunderland fan as you could ever wish to meet.

RIP Podge

aye thats true mate , Barbary Coaster i can hear him shouting it now

Re: Poledancer/Enigma

Just managed to get online cos I was in Alice Springs when I heard the tragic news. Gutted! Last time I spoke to him was this time last year when I was trying to organise for him to come down to my place in Melbourne to stay for the Melbourne test match. He loved being in Oz for the cricket but hated the game at the MCG, so he went back to the UK for New Year and came back out for the Sydney test so I did not have the chance to even have a pint with him. Top lad and a Sunderland fanatic. I can still picture him on the pitch at Roker Park when we got promoted years ago. RIP mate, you will be sorely missed

Everyone seems to know Podgy, talking to my bro in Australia last night. Podgy actually stopped at our kids some time at the last tour in Oz - got my bro and his step daughters fella tickets for boxing day at melbourne.

His step daughters fella was flying back to sunderland last night to attend his funeral.

Just goes with everything else on the thread.

Just managed to get online cos I was in Alice Springs when I heard the tragic news. Gutted! Last time I spoke to him was this time last year when I was trying to organise for him to come down to my place in Melbourne to stay for the Melbourne test match. He loved being in Oz for the cricket but hated the game at the MCG, so he went back to the UK for New Year and came back out for the Sydney test so I did not have the chance to even have a pint with him. Top lad and a Sunderland fanatic. I can still picture him on the pitch at Roker Park when we got promoted years ago. RIP mate, you will be sorely missed

Was that 2010 marra, he sorted tickets out for a kid i know over there and my bro. I did not even know my bro had met him.

Last edited by a moderator:
R.I.P George,you`ll be missed badly by all the Leicester lads who got to know you on our travels. You was one in a million mate,love you forever.

Remember reading these threads years ago thinking Poledancer will be here shortly on a Friday night, happy days, if we could turn back time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back