RIP menthol cigarettes

Great idea. It's worked so well with other drugs why not repeat the policy.
Yeah but the physical effects are only harmful to the user with other drugs. If smoking is driven underground that’s fine by me. At least it would put a stop to it in public and create a social objection to it were it to be made illegal. Let the filthy swines smoke in gangs in their squalor pits.

Last edited:
Or just leave them alone to make their own choices....

Unfortunately when people make their own choices, they get addicted to things, and a certain number will inevitably ruin their own life, and bring down the lives of others.

I guarantee most smokers dying of lung cancer in their 50s and 60s, wish they’d given up decades ago. They’ve robbed themselves of years of their life, they’ve robbed their family as well.

If I could I’d ban it tomorrow and stamp it out with force, but the human condition is to seek out these substances at any cost so it has to be done in a gradual way.

Well yeah. Stopping the practice of buying tabs in shops will help massively. There's always going to be hooky baccy but no more than there is now and I'd assume with legal stuff out of the equation it'd be easier to pick up on them. We'd have to bolster the customs and excise service but hey...more jobs.
I think it will happen I’m my lifetime. It’s one of them things where we will look back thinking how mental we were.

Unfortunately when people make their own choices, they get addicted to things, and a certain number will inevitably ruin their own life, and bring down the lives of others.

I guarantee most smokers dying of lung cancer in their 50s and 60s, wish they’d given up decades ago. They’ve robbed themselves of years of their life, they’ve robbed their family as well.

If I could I’d ban it tomorrow and stamp it out with force, but the human condition is to seek out these substances at any cost so it has to be done in a gradual way.
Shite

The stats on smokers dying younger are indisputable mate, surely? I accept you and others may think different about how the thought of dying of lung cancer, COPD, heart failure etc in your 50s or 60s might make you feel.
I don't doubt the stats, I doubt you thinking everyone wants to give up, you appear to think that smokers started when kids and are addicted and cant stop, there's a shit ton of help for any one who WANTS to stop, treating people like scum because they smoke is wrong.

I don't doubt the stats, I doubt you thinking everyone wants to give up, you appear to think that smokers started when kids and are addicted and cant stop, there's a shit ton of help for any one who WANTS to stop, treating people like scum because they smoke is wrong.

I’m not suggesting we do treat smokers like scum, and I’m not sure if I’ve badly written my idea but I don’t think everyone wants to quit either.

I do however think that smoking should become more expensive and more difficult, whilst making the alternatives more accessible.

Eventually we need to get tobacco dependence down to the hundreds of thousands, rather than several millions.

Last edited:
I’m not suggesting we do treat smokers like scum, and I’m not sure if I’ve badly written my idea but I don’t think everyone wants to quit either.

I do however think that smoking should become more expensive and more difficult, whilst making the alternatives more accessible.

Eventually we need to get tobacco dependence down to the hundreds of thousands, rather than the tens of millions.
Smokers are treated like scum, how much more expensive do you think it should be ? it's around a tenner a pack of 20 now, help and advice is free, vapes are cheap there's loads of help for anyone who wants to stop.

Smokers are treated like scum, how much more expensive do you think it should be ? it's around a tenner a pack of 20 now, help and advice is free, vapes are cheap there's loads of help for anyone who wants to stop.

I think having to smoke in outside places is necessary for the safety of those in indoor spaces. Nobody should be forced to breathe second hand smoke.

Smoking may indeed bring in more tax than it costs the NHS (allegedly) but smoking-related illness and death are a significant burden on the health service.

The ultimate aim is to price smokers out, and then make it harder to obtain for those resistant to the price increase.

You may be a smoker and I don’t want to belittle you or make you feel less valued not at all, that isn’t the case but on a population level the use of tobacco causes significant harm.

I question to what degree an addict of any substance truly acts with free will when “choosing” to use that substance.

I think having to smoke in outside places is necessary for the safety of those in indoor spaces. Nobody should be forced to breathe second hand smoke.

Smoking may indeed bring in more tax than it costs the NHS (allegedly) but smoking-related illness and death are a significant burden on the health service.

The ultimate aim is to price smokers out, and then make it harder to obtain for those resistant to the price increase.

You may be a smoker and I don’t want to belittle you or make you feel less valued not at all, that isn’t the case but on a population level the use of tobacco causes significant harm.

I question to what degree an addict of any substance truly acts with free will when “choosing” to use that substance.
You sound like a judge :lol: :lol:
They've been trying to price people out of smoking for years, it hasn't happened and will not happen, some people actually enjoy smoking we already pay through the nose to do it ,I've got no problem with them trying help people to stop but those that want to smoke shouldn't be treated like scum.

You sound like a judge :lol: :lol:
They've been trying to price people out of smoking for years, it hasn't happened and will not happen, some people actually enjoy smoking we already pay through the nose to do it ,I've got no problem with them trying help people to stop but those that want to smoke shouldn't be treated like scum.

Fully agree with you. Nobody should be treated like scum, except people who don’t say thank you when you hold a door, or acknowledge you when you give way to them.

You think We are worried about menthol when our human rights are being taken away. This one has got my nuclear weapons pointy.

To translate: There are bigger things to worry about than menthol tabs.

Why are they being banned?

Because the Tories have inherited the Nanny State mentality that Labour used to be accused of. Peter Hitchens said a few years ago that the Tory and Labour parliamentary parties had moved so close together in the centre that there was essentially no difference between them.

Back