RIP @maximus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Having read the initial post last night and posted in response late Sunday Evening I have to be honest I found it difficult to get to sleep.

My sincere apologies as I am not “one of you” but worthy of adding a further post. You can see through the number of responses to the thread what this lad meant to many people not only to those who were fortunate to have met him.

Posting on another clubs football forum as much as I do can only be described as a bit strange. However you realise that you have so much in common with like minded people that you have actually never met.
Maximus as mentioned in my last post just came across as genuine. I shared so many posts with him always mainly around “loyalty” and what drives us on.
Sunderland are very fortunate to have the Supporters in terms of numbers that they have and then you have those like Maximus which makes other Supporters take note with the numbers that follow your club.
Not once did he ever come across as a twat to anyone and my biggest regret is that I will never have the chance to meet up with a true Supporter that I simply respected and one that I would have loved to have met up with. I sincerely mean this.

A true loss to so many and how bizarre that he also enjoyed the wild birds as I do.
Never did get that chance to see a lesser spotted woodpecker. How do you remember something as trivial as that? It’s because some people have a lasting effect on you.

His passing will now help me increase the bond I have with your club.
Without any doubt now a Swindon Sunderland fixture will help bring back his memory and make it a special occasion. It will for me anyway.

Finally my thoughts especially are with his family and close friends on here.
He will still be watching the games, could never keep away could he. Just remember he is in the 5th stand high above us.
God bless you Mate to a “friend” I never had the chance to meet.
RIP and never forgotten.

This echoes with me. I've got a bunch of PMs from every match I went to last season trying to arrange a meet up with him and now I never will.

It's gutting.

yeah mate. Sure.

As loads know I work in a local special needs school as a learning support assistant. We try to offer out of school experiences as well as a top experience of education in school too. I opted to try and sort a trip to watch the lads for 4 kids I thought would benefit & deserved a trip to watch a Premier league game (none of them had visited a football stadium before nevermind seen a match). I picked Hull at home in November 2016 and happened to reply to a roll call thread (iirc) and mentioned in passing that I wouldn't be in my usual spot because I was "working" and had tickets elsewhere in the ground. 4 lads without any prompting replied & offered to chip in for something for the bairns on the day. Maximus was one of those. Several PMs later and I had the money on me to take into the club shop on the day. The kids came out decked in red and white scarves & the green away kit which was on offer at the time & it didn't cost me nor the school a penny due to the generosity of 4 top lads from here. It was the afternoon the lights went out. Panic stations for the staff who had promised to return the kids home at a certain time. :lol: We won 3-0. The kids still wear the kits for after school football club & I regularly see them wearing the scarves too.

Didn't expect any sort of donation towards the day (we run these trips all the time and just spend what we can from the school budget) but the gesture (almost 2 years on) is still remembered & meant the World to 4 kids who had the time of their lives watching the lads in red and white! 3 goals!! Victor Anichebe ran wild that day and was unplayable. They all idolised Jermain Defoe and celebrated like we'd just beat the mags when he scored the first. :lol:

I won't name the other 3 lads because I feel that would be wrong in case they'd rather remain anonymous but they are all regular contributors to this place & needless to say are top lads too.
Tear in my eye here. Top blokes one and all.

This echoes with me. I've got a bunch of PMs from every match I went to last season trying to arrange a meet up with him and now I never will.

It's gutting.

I recall a memory sitting in the services after yet another away defeat and acceptance that we were shit and going down.
After posting a message on a Swindon Board I posted a message on the SMB.
Guess what, an understanding, respectful and a smiling post from an understanding guy - Maximus.
Became quite a ritual sending him posts after a Sunderland defeat in an attempt to lift his spirits. He never needed them though did he. He could cope with defeats and I guess which made him unique to the Sunderland lads who knew him.
Wish I could have a few of them around me when we get beat. Always seeing the good in people, life and everything.
You lads and lasses need to take a long look at what you have because of this lad. A fanbase, an identity and what epitomises what I always thought of NE people when visiting the likes of Hartlepool and Darlo, warmth and a friendly nature.
Your team may be struggling, the players may not in your opinion be fit to wear the shirt but by Christ can you raise some cracking football Supporters.
You only have to look at your following at Millwall. Sadly one of your finest never made it.........I will think of Steve Quinn this Saturday, the name I can now put to a picture. He can take the vacant seat next to me at Cheltenham at home.

I recall a memory sitting in the services after yet another away defeat and acceptance that we were shit and going down.
Guess what, an understanding, respectful and a smiling post from an understanding guy - Maximus.
Became quite a ritual sending him posts after a Sunderland defeat in an attempt to lift his spirits. He never needed them though did he. He could cope with defeats and I guess which made him unique to the Sunderland lads who knew him.
Wish I could have a few of them around me when we get beat. Always seeing the good in people, life and everything.
You lads and lasses need to take a long look at what you have because of this lad. A fanbase, an identity and what epitomises what I always thought of NE people when visiting the likes of Hartlepool and Darlo, warmth and a friendly nature.
Your team may be struggling, the players may not in your opinion be fit to wear the shirt but by Christ can you raise some cracking football Supporters.
You only have to look at your following at Millwall. Sadly one of your finest never made it.........I will think of Steve Quinn this Saturday, the name I can now put to a picture. He can take the vacant seat next to me at Cheltenham at home.
Top bloke

Class marra, this post here makes me wonder why some on here seem to take issue with your postings, so you support another team but you are a true salt of the earth type fan who's never once looked to stick the boot in or wind folk up.

Well said mate. He actually spoke about you a couple of times when I saw him. He loved talking about this board. Their lass doesn't get on here, but she heard all about it and its members often enough :lol:

Very nice read that mate. Nice gesture from all four of them and you too for taking time out to do stuff like that. You're a good lad.

it's just my job and on that particular day I was getting paid to watch the lads win 3-0. Best job in the World. :cool:

I've done two more trips to the football since (Sunderland & Shields) and both have ended in 0-0 draws. :mad:

thanks for the kind comment though. :)

wonderful post marra.

we're playing Villa tonight. Tough game but I'd hope the whole of the SMB could try and remain as positive as possible regardless of tonight's score. I'm determined to go and enjoy the game without getting on the backs of anyone at SAFC tonight.

Ha'way the lads.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back