RIP John Peel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Travelling in Asia at present so I've only just seen this news. Sad, sad day. Thanks John for some great musically memories over the years. RIP mate.

Probably the most heartfelt thread ever on the SMB, more so then Stokoe and Clough. No doubt this is going on throughout the country on other message boards. I read this in the morning here, all 14 pages, and am welling up. It's truly amazing how many lives he touched. Don't want to go to work. RIP, John.

just woke up, switched on the computer, put on a bit of New Order and read the sad news. Most apt really because without John Peel I'd never have heard of New Order or been interested in music as much as I am

Thanks John

E J Thribb said:
My Boy Harry said:
http://www.rocklist.net/p1978.htm

Tune in to his top 50 of 1978...awesome....

Great stuff.

Although, obviously given the year, there's a lot of punk in there, what surprises me is how eclectic the list is. Bowie, Springsteen, Dire Straits and Floyd rubbing shoulders with The Clash, Pistols, SLF, etc.

It was desperately uncool to be "into" Led Zep in 1978 - but Peel didn't care what was hip. Just what was good.

I read an interview with him once where he was asked what music excited him most. He said it was the pile of CDs in the boot of his car that he hadn't listened to yet. Always renewing, always fresh. That's how he stayed relevant to so many different generations.

Looking through the list I can actually remember him playing that lot (maybe cos I also managed to tape it all at the time and spent far too long listening to it as a spotty 18 year old).

Then what struck me was that if he was 21 years older than me at the time he must have been nearly 40 when he put that list together. I don't know too many 40 year olds today who would have a clue about what 18 year olds are into.

I think that is what marks John Peel out as a great man - his tastes in music never seemed to age in the same sad way as the rest of us.

from hmhb.co.uk......

Like many others, I grew up listening to Peel under the bed clothes when I should have been asleep before school the next morning. At 14, he introduced me to 'a national treasure', as he named them, in Half Man Half Biscuit, an obsession that lives with me today in running this website. On behalf of the countless people who have emailed me and the mailing list today, we'd like to thank John for enriching our lives, and indelibly changing the progess of new music for the last 37 years.
Farewell John.

Gez.
Half Man Half Biscuit website/mailing list.

It really is amazing that different generations are feeling the same pain. I'm in my mid 20's so didn't get into John Peel till the early 90's, but I came back home to find my mam who is in her mid 50's in tears at the news, as she'd listened to John Peel at my age.

Michael Eavis has confirmed this morning that he's going to rename the New Music Stage at Glasto as The John Peel Stage.

Daily Mal have hijacked the death as 'another great stalwart of Middle England dies'. :roll:

Aphrodite said:
Daily Mal have hijacked the death as 'another great stalwart of Middle England dies'. :roll:

Is that so bad?

If John Peel was part of "middle England" then he helped move the centre to more interesting places.

The High-Tory Daily Telegaph, like all the other papers, has extensive coverage of Peel's life and death. When the Telegraph refers to his role in discovering the likes of Captain Beefheart and The Fall then you know his life was not in vain.

He was the winner.

MACKEM ANGELS said:
Michael Eavis has confirmed this morning that he's going to rename the New Music Stage at Glasto as The John Peel Stage.

that's a great idea. i always camp next the new bands tent, and you'd often see peel milling about.

I'm only a youngun, but a bit of Peel on the radio was an important part of every week. I'm listening to Teenage Kicks now, welling up slightly.

Anyone who loves music should love what John Peel acheived.

An absolute gem, I'll make a point of thinking of him if I go to Glasto this year.

Here's to John

not spavin said:
MACKEM ANGELS said:

that's a great idea. i'm always camp next the new bands tent, and you'd often see peel milling about.

:eek:

John Peel

Really sad loss....spent most of my youth listening and tapeing his shows to here the latest session from Bad Seeds, The Fall, Misty in Roots etc.

God bless him. :(

Posadageordie said:
not spavin said:
MACKEM ANGELS said:

that's a great idea. i'm always camp next the new bands tent, and you'd often see peel milling about.

:eek:

i would try to deny that, but my straw cowboy hat that i sported throughout glasto 04 would suggest otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back