RIP John Peel

Status
Not open for further replies.
R.I.P John Peel. A Great Presenter and was pure class on presenting Glastobury!

Peace & Respect John.

Just heard it on Radio 1 when leaving work tonight. Good memories when I was in my teens. As many people mentioned in their tributes, I was one of them who used to listen to the radio till all hours in the morning. I've got a few 12 inches from the John Peel sessions and a few tape recordings.

RIP John, your were truely a Legend.

Radio 1's two hour tribute programme has just started....... :( :(

Corvus said:
Back in the late 60's John Peel through his Perfumed Garden show was the main source in bringing the American "West Coast" bands to the UK, The Doors, Jefferson Airplane, The Mothers of Invention, Capt Beefheart and The Magic Band, Santana, Misunderstood, Iron Butterfly etc as well as championing their UK counterparts, Pink Floyd, The Move, etc. Music I still love and listen to. As trends changed he was always at the forefront.

A huge loss to the music industry. Without doubt as big an influence as the bands and artists he promoted.

RIP John.

I remember he loved Captain Beefheart.

JP was the only DJ I ever wrote to after he featured John Fahey on his Sunday afternoon prog in 1970. He replied, calling me Andrew which I thought was unusual, and started a lifetime's admiration of the great acoustic guitarist.
He was working in Dallas when Kennedy was assassinated and can actually be seen in a photo of Oswald's "I'm just a patsy" press conference.

To use Richard Madeley's words when talking of the Beatles, John Peel and I share the same DNA.

Never to be replaced.

RIP, John.

Just watched the John Peel tribute prog on VH2, some cracking videos on.

The Undertones - Teenage kicks
The Fall - Mr Pharmasist
Buzzcocks - Ever fallen in love ?
Sex Pistols - Anarchy in the U.K
Joy Division - Atmosphere
Ramones - I wanna be sedated
Capt. Beefheart - Ice cream for the crow

There was also a vid from The Smiths, but forget what it was now.
A decent tribute show to a GREAT LEGEND OF THE MUSIC WORLD.

E J Thribb said:
andy said:
He was working in Dallas when Kennedy was assassinated and can actually be seen in a photo of Oswald's "I'm just a patsy" press conference.
Fascinating. I had never heard that.

But, in Googling for more info, I found this interview with JP.
http://www.molara.co.uk/7696.html#023

Some interesting stuff.

can`t believe he has passed away :cry: On the way back from rotherham last night me and me brother were talking about him and i mentioned that he was in dallas ( on holiday iirc) in november 63. sad day :(

My Boy Harry said:
http://www.rocklist.net/p1978.htm

Tune in to his top 50 of 1978...awesome....

Anarchy in the Uk was always at the top of the festive fifty........... :lol:

Listened every year as he unveiled the rest in the days prior to Xmas setting me recorder to capture the new entries into the chart...........

Legend in the world of radio and a total one off who will be sadly missed..... :cry:

RIP, not many people have ever made me tune in to the radio to listen to them. Its usually just on in the car but I tuned in to listen to John Peel.

Steve Lurpak has just played Love will tear us apart be Joy Division from the Peel sessions-f***ing ace!
Why has it took his death to get radio 1 to play some decent tunes though?

Right now they are playing a Nirvana cover of The Vaselines 'Tom Tom Turnaround' - shit like that is what made Peel so good - he didn't play on these songs, or suggest them, but withou him would they ever have happened?

Even when he was the most know DJ he still played the unknown stuff, class always stuck to what he knew.

I thought he was immortal. Of all the famous passings this year his makes me stop and think, Jesus, is he really gone?

Sad day. Thanks for everything John. In particular "Geek Love" by Bang Bang Machine - Festive 50 in ooh, 92 I think?

Legend.

Top man - actually cared about the music he played. He believed in rock and roll.

I've had few few drinks now but what the hey.....

This is like losing your older, cooler, brother for me (or at best - a favourite music teacher) .. someone that when opened your eyes/ears to a whole new world and way of thinking that was for me at the age of 12 (1978) absolutely eye(ear)popping.

The mix of Punk and Reggae music that he played, was also reflected in the gangs that hung out a the time time Punks and Blacks (sorry PC brigade) together....both looked down upon.... only we could let the dye grow out - or stop spitting..

A man that regularly forgot that the record had finished because he was eating his curry... :D

Going into music lesson the next day at school and argue the merits of JJ Burnel or Dave Greenfield over JS Bach or Beethoven

......too many 10-12 seessions under the duvet with the radio alarm...

Was talking to my 18 yo daughter tonight who summed it up perfectly -

"He bridged the gap between young people and old people"

What an epitaph eh!

He's been there transcending fashion and taste all my life: another sad milestone, thanks for your contribution to my life and RIP.

My thoughts are with his family. :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back