RIP John Hays

Vey sad news no doubt the sector he is in would have increased the stress at this time.

Good spokesman for the city and the North East - thoughts with his family

Knew him from when I started playing cricket at Sunderland CC as a callow 18-year old - was a nice, genuine bloke who couldn't play as often as he would like due to his commitment to his business.

My wife was working for him at Hays travel when we first met and never had a bad word to say about him.

He was Sunderland through and through.

RIP John.

A double tragedy for Sunderland, Wearside and Co Durham, the death's announced of Dean Matthews a SOL regular and fantastic local photographer and John Hays a lifelong Sunderland fan, ex board member, nationally known business man who saved so many jobs after Thomas Cook collapsed. Both men were said to be fantastic gentlemen.
RIP and commiserations to their respective wives and families. God bless them.

Exactly two proud Sunderland men who did so much to put the city of Sunderland on the map.

Quinny always spoke very highly of John re Drumaviille

RIP fellas.

Seaham lad who built a superb business from scratch and who loved the area and SAFC was a massive passion of his, as was doing the right thing for his staff.
The fact that he died at his desk whilst working aged 71 in the middle of this hideous pandemic says everything about the mans character and work ethic.
Despite success and wealth he remained grounded and likeable.
Thoughts and sympathies to his lovely wife Irene and his family and friends.

A double tragedy for Sunderland, Wearside and Co Durham, the death's announced of Dean Matthews a SOL regular and fantastic local photographer and John Hays a lifelong Sunderland fan, ex board member, nationally known business man who saved so many jobs after Thomas Cook collapsed. Both men were said to be fantastic gentlemen.
RIP and commiserations to their respective wives and families. God bless them.
Absolutely this, not been a good couple of days for Sunderland, never good whem

Dean always managed to capture Sunderland and Co Durham at its absolute best.

John managed to be incredibly successful in business without treading on the little man, very very few people achieve that.

Both were fantastic ambassadors for Sunderland, RIP gents and all the very best to their families in these awful times

I’ve known Iohn for over 40 years and played cricket and squash with him regularly back in the day. I was devastated to hear this news yesterday and my deepest condolences go out to Irene and the Hays family.
RIP Nudger, you will be sadly missed by many.

RIP Mr Hays,
Never knew you personally but reading the tributes tells me what a great man you were.
As someone said what a shit year 2020 is.

A gofund me page has been set up with all donations going towards Hays Travel Foundation.
They are asking for donations of no more than £5.00

If you wish you make a donation you can do it here:

Hope this is ok to post.

Terrible news.
Came across as a genuine caring bloke, self made man and did everything he could for the travel industry, the club and the City of Sunderland.
RIP Mr Hays.

Back