Rio Olympics 2016 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gutted the Olympics are over. One because it was class and two because I have nothing to watch at work now. Can't wait for Tokyo now. Might even saving up and have a little trip over there. There will be a lot of pressure on GB to perform at the next Olympics. I have seen what the Australian media have been like with their athletes this past two weeks and its not good. Hopefully we keep it up!!

first nation to ever increase its medal haul after the home games bounce effect... i don't think many people predicated that.
It's almost impossible barring added events that favor them. You all should be very proud of their performance.
Hosts are always going to get more medals than expected due to crowd influence on refs and the added boost it gives the local athletes.
It goes to show just how poor and disappointing the FA and English National Team have performed as of late when Team GB has been able to surpass legit clean European nations like Germany.

It goes to show just how poor and disappointing the FA and English National Team have performed as of late when Team GB has been able to surpass legit clean European nations like Germany.
Before the FA poached our manager, I recall them talking about want to apply the sort of marginal gains scientific philosophy that inspired the cyclists & has been applied so well by the gymnasts... At the time I thought Big Sam was the ideal candidate for that sort of thing in football and felt he was then nailed on for the job.

It's sad though that a success like that is qualified by the notion of legit clean nations...

It's almost impossible barring added events that favor them. You all should be very proud of their performance.
Hosts are always going to get more medals than expected due to crowd influence on refs and the added boost it gives the local athletes.

The fact is that English football is 99% club based due to its tribal nature. Look at the threads on here, 9/10 people would prefer Sunderland to win than England. Until football adopts the Nation first approach, like Rugby, Football, and athletics it will always be the same.

The fact is that English football is 99% club based due to its tribal nature. Look at the threads on here, 9/10 people would prefer Sunderland to win than England. Until football adopts the Nation first approach, like Rugby, Football, and athletics it will always be the same.

That was of course supposed to say cricket!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks to be a hell of a homecoming.
Couldn't have been much better, if we'd just won the World Cup.

Gutted the Olympics are over. One because it was class and two because I have nothing to watch at work now. Can't wait for Tokyo now. Might even saving up and have a little trip over there. There will be a lot of pressure on GB to perform at the next Olympics. I have seen what the Australian media have been like with their athletes this past two weeks and its not good. Hopefully we keep it up!!

The Aussies get a lot of pride from being good at the swimming and sporty stuff. It's a big blow to them to be so far behind the Poms. We just would shrug our shoulders and get on with life.

Before the FA poached our manager, I recall them talking about want to apply the sort of marginal gains scientific philosophy that inspired the cyclists & has been applied so well by the gymnasts... At the time I thought Big Sam was the ideal candidate for that sort of thing in football and felt he was then nailed on for the job.

It's sad though that a success like that is qualified by the notion of legit clean nations...

I'm not sure how you go about applying a "marginal gains" philosophy when you only have access to players a handful of days per year and they will otherwise be following the regimes and philosophies of their own clubs (i.e. employers). Sounds like the kind of thing they'd come out with to try and appease supporters that they're being proactive. I think the England players brought their own pillows. Maybe that's about as far as they got with it...

I'm not sure how you go about applying a "marginal gains" philosophy when you only have access to players a handful of days per year and they will otherwise be following the regimes and philosophies of their own clubs (i.e. employers). Sounds like the kind of thing they'd come out with to try and appease supporters that they're being proactive. I think the England players brought their own pillows. Maybe that's about as far as they got with it...
perhaps marginal gains wasn't the right phrase for football, but the way in which the players operate and process information under pressure, ie. why they got undefeated in qualifying but choke at the finals... when froome ended up running up mt ventoux brailsford talked about how they work behind the scenes on rational non-emotional thought processes off the bike (or away from the pitch), so when things arent going to plan people don't panic and act rationally... i could imagine that kinda of stuff would be up big sams street, but as you say when you have players so few days of the year then what can he do?

perhaps marginal gains wasn't the right phrase for football, but the way in which the players operate and process information under pressure, ie. why they got undefeated in qualifying but choke at the finals... when froome ended up running up mt ventoux brailsford talked about how they work behind the scenes on rational non-emotional thought processes off the bike (or away from the pitch), so when things arent going to plan people don't panic and act rationally... i could imagine that kinda of stuff would be up big sams street, but as you say when you have players so few days of the year then what can he do?

Yea, I think the only kind of "philosophy" that can effectively be applied to international football, is one where you implement it already at the youth levels, and then employ a coach at senior level who continues to maintain the same philosophy. That way the senior team becomes a matter of bringing together what the players have already grown up with. Otherwise, the senior team is just too late to make any significant changes to any kind of philosophy.

Punches never seem to score. Didn't even realise there was tech involved. Thought it was all down to corner judges.

Does @Ena Sharples still get on here. He's the expert.
Its all changed now
Punches used to score, the definition of score was a hit that visibly shook the opponent, but the progression of the sport side has changed so much since I practiced /competed, its all spectator friendly now.
Taekwondo, IMO has become a parody of what it used to be ( Youtube Taekwondo knockouts ) and it was all solely done so that it would be included into the Olympics after the Seoul games. It was threatened to be dropped due to being boring to watch, so they messed with the format to include things like a headshot scoring 3 points. Then the introduction of sensors in the armour and footwear ( socks) to score the points for the judges. I have seen the early armour with the sensors in and a guy was hitting it with a sock and it was registering .I can remember the hopping on one foot coming in and to combat it, block it with both hands and literally throw the leg/knee to the floor and then kick your opponent . Thats not saying the people who compete cannot kick, if Jade Jones kicked you, chances are you would end up in hospital

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back