Rio Olympics 2016 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't seen one created so here you go.

Mostly looking forward to the Women's Volleyball obviously and watching how awkward the Russians will look when they enter the stadium tonight in the opening ceremony :D

Also if you want to get pumped up for Team GB watch this video while you're bored at work.

Did I just see something on SSN about the Russians now being allowed to compete?

I'm afraid I find the Olympics the most uninteresting of the 'big sporting events'. I can watch bits of it but just can't get very excited about it. I know London was deemed a great success but I was in the USA for the duration and, as is their wont, there wasn't much mentioned unless the USA won a gold for something. Otherwise, there wasn't that much coverage.

Hope everyone enjoys it who is into it, though.

Only time the red button actually serves any purpose.

I've taken 7 days off work (next Thursday to the Friday after) largely for Olympic watchery.
Is this a sport? Have to be careful nowadays since I read an article the other day saying they are going to introduce skateboarding and climbing.

First athlete to be tested positive an Irish boxer.

Irish boxer Michael O'Reily first athlete to be tested positive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not even on the telly here in Malta/Gozo. no wonder the Maltese are a bunch of fat bastards. The only way to watch it here is on an Italian channel.

First athlete to be tested positive an Irish boxer.

Irish boxer Michael O'Reily first athlete to be tested positive.
I don't know much about the drug testing thing but it seems to be quite confusing. Always seems to bang on about a 'banned substance' but I'm never clear what these things actually do. 'Tunes' make you breathe more easily, are they banned?

I don't know much about the drug testing thing but it seems to be quite confusing. Always seems to bang on about a 'banned substance' but I'm never clear what these things actually do. 'Tunes' make you breathe more easily, are they banned?
It's at the stage now where athletes can't take cough medicine.

I'm going to the hockey semi's, the boxing final and the basketball semi's. Hoping to get to the men's football semi's as well depending on what the touts are charging.

Really looking forward to it now, roll on the opening ceremony tonight!

I'm going to the hockey semi's, the boxing final and the basketball semi's. Hoping to get to the men's football semi's as well depending on what the touts are charging.

Really looking forward to it now, roll on the opening ceremony tonight!
Lucky bugger. Just watch out for those mozzys!! :eek:

I'm afraid I find the Olympics the most uninteresting of the 'big sporting events'. I can watch bits of it but just can't get very excited about it. I know London was deemed a great success but I was in the USA for the duration and, as is their wont, there wasn't much mentioned unless the USA won a gold for something. Otherwise, there wasn't that much coverage.

Hope everyone enjoys it who is into it, though.
It's like that with the yanks with any sport outside of NFL, NBA, NBL and NHL.

Last edited:
It's like that with the yanks with any sport outside of NFL, NBA, NBL and NHL.
I'm sure it would be shown in full on some channel but I was only really flicking through the main channels when I got back to the hotel at night and there was a much bigger chance of catching a baseball game than any continuous olympic coverage. Mind, I like baseball so it suited me.

Roll on the track and field and cycling for me, never forget those few hours during our Olympics when we won gold after gold. Was magic tv and something I will remember till I pop my clogs.

I am not very interested in the whole thing . I did't bother watching the tedious opening ceremony. You can imagine my surprise this morning when it appears that it involved lots of semi naked women wearing feathered headdresses, people in blazers with flags followed by a large firework display. I can't wait for the full two weeks of drug fuelled sporting fun hosted of course by our delightful Clare Balding . :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back