Rimworld

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vore

Winger
This is one of the best games I've ever played. There's too much to go in to to provide a full review, and there's enough available that you can make your own minds up, but I'm surprised by how addicted I've got. (211hrs so far, just bought the DLC). RimWorld on Steam

Essentially it's a very detailed procedural sandbox, a la Dwarf Fortress, but imo much more interesting, enjoyable, and (objectively) way more accessible. Don't let any trailers convince you it's an RTS - there are elements of that but 95% of this game is almost Sims-like base-building.

The first time I played Rimworld, about TWENTY hours in, one of my colonists had a psychotic breakdown because a lynx tore off his nose. He set fire to the bedroom he was in, quickly trapping my other two colonists. They nearly fought off the flames, but died of their wounds. The fire starter, incapable of empathy following an upbringing in a slave colony, had watched on as they died, refusing to help put the flames out. He then ultimately starved to death because the kitchen had burned down next to him while he butchered their corpses. Game over, restart.

I'm on my 4th game now and it's going well this time, though my transhumanist chemical-enthusiast acolyte is consistently annoyed that she doesn't have any physical augmentations. I have a knee-spike ready to install on her, but no surgeon capable of trying - they're all a bunch of oafs.

Last edited:

Sounds canny. Went to put it on my steam wish list. It's been on there since 2018. :lol:
It never goes down in price. He's aware it's a really good game and has no intention of putting it on sale. Steam has a two hour refund, which for this game I'd say is plenty time to decide whether you like it. Hours slip by in what feel like minutes once you give it a crack though so watch out. Worse than Civ/Cham Man, because there''s never a legitimate reason to stop. I'd have failed exams if this had come out near them.
I'm a skinflint, only got Civ5 once it was all DLC package for a fiver. With Witcher 3 & Dark Souls 3 this is the only other game I've ever bought full price, then bought full price DLC. With Rimworld the DLC is optional, but if you get 30/40 hours in and still like the game I'd recommend getting it and doing a restart.

You can play as easy/tough as you like, personally I'd recommend easy settings initially but set to ironman/no saves from the off - the fun of the game depends on you living with the consequences.

Last edited:
Looks pretty interesting to be honest, might pick it up once I've passed my next exam, got LOU2 sat there tempting me as well... must stay disciplined!
I've played all the Civ's up to 5 & haven't touched a footy manager since 17. Totally agree with the Witcher 3, one of the best games ever made.

I've had it since Alpha version something or other. Its as frustrating as it is brilliant but keeps you going back for more torture. I've lost full nights to it, time just flys by as you're solving the next issue.

Edit: Just checked, 388 hours on it. šŸ˜¬

Last edited:
It never goes down in price. He's aware it's a really good game and has no intention of putting it on sale. Steam has a two hour refund, which for this game I'd say is plenty time to decide whether you like it. Hours slip by in what feel like minutes once you give it a crack though so watch out. Worse than Civ/Cham Man, because there''s never a legitimate reason to stop. I'd have failed exams if this had come out near them.
I'm a skinflint, only got Civ5 once it was all DLC package for a fiver. With Witcher 3 & Dark Souls 3 this is the only other game I've ever bought full price, then bought full price DLC. With Rimworld the DLC is optional, but if you get 30/40 hours in and still like the game I'd recommend getting it and doing a restart.

You can play as easy/tough as you like, personally I'd recommend easy settings initially but set to ironman/no saves from the off - the fun of the game depends on you living with the consequences.

Definitely this - absolutely love the game - once I get things up and running I will often leave it running in the background set to pause on "emergency" alerts only - come back after a few hours and see how much they have managed to fuck things up by themselves :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back