Rightmove Voyeurism

location, location....... (sadly for some people)
however, I completely agree with you 👍 utter madness, but each to their own i suppose

I really don’t get how they afford to live down there, the salaries are not vastly higher than up here, not enough to justify getting mortgages for £1m plus anyway.

Me and the wife both earn a decent wage and are looking to move, but wouldn’t have a chance of getting owt above half a million and that would mean being mortgaged up to the eyeballs til the day I retire.

I really don’t get how they afford to live down there, the salaries are not vastly higher than up here, not enough to justify getting mortgages for £1m plus anyway.

Me and the wife both earn a decent wage and are looking to move, but wouldn’t have a chance of getting owt above half a million and that would mean being mortgaged up to the eyeballs til the day I retire.

my ex's family were from down there, and i couldn't understand how on earth they were paying half a million quid for a bog standard terraced house, with as you say, 2 normal jobs

my ex's family were from down there, and i couldn't understand how on earth they were paying half a million quid for a bog standard terraced house, with as you say, 2 normal jobs
Is it that they bought before the boom and made big profits on other houses?

Jobs in my sector are about £5k per year higher, occasionally £10k. Take tax off the lower one, £4k and multiply by 30 years on the mortgage, that is £120k. A rung in the property ladder round here certainly, but not into £1-2m home territory, a bloody long way off. Daft thing is, take my 3 bed semi with a decent garden (rural ish Kent), shift it 50 miles west and it would be well into the 7 figures.

Is it that they bought before the boom and made big profits on other houses?

Jobs in my sector are about £5k per year higher, occasionally £10k. Take tax off the lower one, £4k and multiply by 30 years on the mortgage, that is £120k. A rung in the property ladder round here certainly, but not into £1-2m home territory, a bloody long way off. Daft thing is, take my 3 bed semi with a decent garden (rural ish Kent), shift it 50 miles west and it would be well into the 7 figures.

thanks for the informative reply mate 👍

Not sure where to start with this one. Maybe I'll sit at the kitchen table and think about it.

See, that's how the Victorians would have furnished them. I think it has a certain charm. I wonder if it's been the same family for many years. It looks like all that stuff has been there a long time, rather than someone trying to put together a 'look'.
I get the location and therefore the price, but decor decor decor.

Plus I value being able to get 2 people at a kitchen table and both being able to breath out at the same time.
It's not the original kitchen which would have been one of the two rooms in the basement (the other probably a scullery or maid's bedroom) which they've now turned into bedrooms.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back