Rightmove Voyeurism

A TV in almost every room! Same when i moved into mine, i ripped out/off all the wall TV mounts, so effectively had to redecorate every room.
Mine had that. I think he used his drill as a screwdriver but didn’t set it to a slower speed. Every screw in the house was rounded off, including the big ones holding all the TV mounts in place. Many of the mounts were for 15” CRT, so quite big. To give them a signal, he had coax cable running everywhere, with additional aerials in the loft. One came through the ceiling of the upstairs toilet, over the coving, then was held into the corner by wallpapering it in, making very messy papering. It then came out of the bottom, went over the skirting, through a hole in the floor before hanging out of the kitchen ceiling.

There was a phone socket in every room too with some really messy junction boxes. Loads of noise on the line and crap broadband speed.

We have one TV with no aerial , these days no sky box either, and one phone socket. Just getting rid of the phone writing made a massive difference to broadband.

Mine had that. I think he used his drill as a screwdriver but didn’t set it to a slower speed. Every screw in the house was rounded off, including the big ones holding all the TV mounts in place. Many of the mounts were for 15” CRT, so quite big. To give them a signal, he had coax cable running everywhere, with additional aerials in the loft. One came through the ceiling of the upstairs toilet, over the coving, then was held into the corner by wallpapering it in, making very messy papering. It then came out of the bottom, went over the skirting, through a hole in the floor before hanging out of the kitchen ceiling.

There was a phone socket in every room too with some really messy junction boxes. Loads of noise on the line and crap broadband speed.

We have one TV with no aerial , these days no sky box either, and one phone socket. Just getting rid of the phone writing made a massive difference to broadband.
I had exactly the same issue. The BT bloke asked if I minded if he just cut all the wires and only left the main box active. I never use the landline so it was no issue for me.
There's cowboy electrics all over the house.

I had exactly the same issue. The BT bloke asked if I minded if he just cut all the wires and only left the main box active. I never use the landline so it was no issue for me.
There's cowboy electrics all over the house.
Most of my electrics were fine, except when we pulled the kitchen out, there was a mass of sockets on one side near the cooker hob (gas and not the oven). Once we got the tiles off and a cabinet out, we found he had taken the front off a socket, wired a bit of cable into it, chiseled a channel down to bench level, then tiled over it. Behind the cabinets, the cable came back out the wall, ran along the floor under the cabinets where we then had one socket in the cabinet, to two double sockets above bench level, side by side, then a fused spur for the cooker ignition and another fused spur to the cooker hood. Literally a badly done spur then loads of things hanging off the end of it. That all had to be ripped out and caused a bit of a surprise.

When my mate moved into his house he found these random cables coming out of the walls with plugs on them.

After a bit or routing around we found that when the guy wanted a new socket, an external light, garden socket or power to the garage he'd drill through the wall and push a cable out.
Then he'd hammer it to the external wall until he was near a socket inside the house that he wasn't using, then drill another hole and push the cable back into the house.
He would then attach a plug to it and plug it in to get power to the new socket.

There was a 4 gang socket in the living room with 4 plugs in it that controlled the garage power, an external light and 2 sockets in the upstairs bedrooms.
Every other 2 gang socket had a random plug in it wired to the outside for some other power extension.

which one? its as if the place has no garage...
A friend of mine has 2 in his kitchen and one in his study, perched on stands. Vintage models from 50-80 years ago. He lives alone so no-one to tell him he can't. Good for him, but no so sure about it in the living room of a 'family' house.

Same here, from around 8 TV points, 2 sat dishes and miles of cabling, down to 1 TV and a hidden ariel in the loft.

Back