Right Back

Think I’ll take another hiatus from this place.

it’s getting ridiculous again, we have just went on a 13 game unbeaten run, with our goals against being the lowest it’s been all season, but apparently every defender apart from Sanderson in that period ha been found out and needs replacing.

To add to that Wyke is now shite and O Brien had no point, and Burge is shite again, a Gooch is terrible, Scowen should never play again, Leadbetter is gone.

You would think we weren’t capable of putting a 5 a side team out reading this board, never mind that we have just been on our best run yet in League 1.

Power played most of the game as a right sided CB with Gooch as a RWB
I'm amazed this passed some people by.

it’s getting ridiculous again, we have just went on a 13 game unbeaten run, with our goals against being the lowest it’s been all season, but apparently every defender apart from Sanderson in that period ha been found out and needs replacing.

To add to that Wyke is now shite and O Brien had no point, and Burge is shite again, a Gooch is terrible, Scowen should never play again, Leadbetter is gone.

You would think we weren’t capable of putting a 5 a side team out reading this board, never mind that we have just been on our best run yet in League 1.
:lol: I get what you're saying, but Gooch has been terrible mind.
..........Sanderson.....Wright..........O9
Gooch.......................................... Hume
No man.

We're a mess whenever we do this.

These are League 1 players, not Chiellini and Co. (in fact, I don't even think they play this system since Sarri got the boot). Players don't know how best to operate in that system. Stick to a back four.

Last edited:

No man.

These are League 1 players, not Chiellini and Co. (in fact, I don't even think they play this system since Sarri got the boot). Players don't know how best to operate in that system. Stick to a back four.
Basically is a back 4, see burton away

Let's start playing people in their natural positions as far as possible. Obviously with injuries we've had no option at times to do this [is Bailey Wright match fit is a big question?]. McLaughlin has done well enough overall this season to start at right back and a central midfield including Power and O'nien [who has a superb attitude but has been exposed at centre back of late] would make us stronger IMHO.

Gooch works hard but needs to stop regularly running up blind alleys, and allowing his frustration with himself and officials to fester to the detriment of the team.

Lee Johnson has brought us into a far better position than we were under Dull Phil and needs to get a settled side sorted out in his mind as even allowing for injuries there has arguably been too many changes of late.

Do we stand to lose more in cm than we gain at rb by playing onien there? Saying that, the jury is still out for me on whether onien can play cm like
Problem is onien is probably our best CM and RB. So it’s a balancing act, one which isn’t easy to do. To complicate it further he’s probably also our best option for the second CB spot alongside Sanderson, given wrights unlikely to be 100% yet. He’s giving us a right headache (good kind I must admit)

Let's start playing people in their natural positions as far as possible. Obviously with injuries we've had no option at times to do this [is Bailey Wright match fit is a big question?]. McLaughlin has done well enough overall this season to start at right back and a central midfield including Power and O'nien [who has a superb attitude but has been exposed at centre back of late] would make us stronger IMHO.

Lee Johnson has brought us into a far better position than we were under Dull Phil and needs to get a settled side sorted out in his mind as even allowing for injuries there has arguably been too many changes of late.
He's got us five points behind second, which is where we were under Parky. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
C Mc all day long for me. Preferred position, improved loads this season and not a bad crosser. Get solid at the back and build attacks from there.

No man.

That's not true. There have been plenty of games where a switch to a back three has led to us winning the game. Particularly if we play a midfield with a lack of legs.

The main reason against playing a back 3 is LJ clearly doesn't like McFadzean as a LWB, he prefers him as a LB. Now that Hume is back probably gives us more reason to play wing-backs.

It is possible for our defence to have been playing well but also have been exposed since we played better teams the last few weeks. The spacebetween Onien and McFazdean has definitely been attacked by Charlton, Peterborough and Lincoln, to some success.

The rest of your complaint is well made. Wyke and Obrien both produced excellent savea from Amos on Saturday, against a less capable goalkeeper wed have been 2 up before they scored

I don't think anyone has said that every defender needs replacing.

Think you might need a break if you feel so strongly about a bit of debate on our best option for a position....this is a forum after all.

Would not start Power RB. He's an okay crosser of the ball but he does my head in with the constant hoofing of the ball up the line. Power is a lot better in midfield. We need him in CM to add something different. Id pick Mclaughlin as he's actually a RB. Sick of managers shoehorning players into positions.

Who is out best option there?

I think Power was exposed on Saturday but he has been pretty solid and a good attacking option, we also have McLaughlin who has been as steady as they come this season and of course there is O'Nien.

But given how open Johnson is to moving the position of players... could Gooch be another option?

For me he just doesn't do enough consistently to warrant a place in the starting 11 and I can't see him getting many starts in an attacking role next season if we get promoted. Whenever he's dropped back into RB/RWB he's looked alright...
Connor Mc is definitely the best RB. Mr Consistant this season

I think a lot depends on who we are playing.
BINGO
When we're paying sides we need to break down and attack, by all means put a midfielder or a winger at fullback.
When we're playing a good team who will look to attack us, put a fullback there.

to be fair to the manager, he seems willing to make these types of changes, I just think he got it wrong against Charlton.

Back