Right Back

Who is out best option there?

I think Power was exposed on Saturday but he has been pretty solid and a good attacking option, we also have McLaughlin who has been as steady as they come this season and of course there is O'Nien.

But given how open Johnson is to moving the position of players... could Gooch be another option?

For me he just doesn't do enough consistently to warrant a place in the starting 11 and I can't see him getting many starts in an attacking role next season if we get promoted. Whenever he's dropped back into RB/RWB he's looked alright...

Last edited:

I think a lot depends on who we are playing.
Against Hull we need defenders defending, but when we are trying to break down a team with 9 behind the ball, 09 or gooch as right back pushing on adds to the attack.

I’m not sure why Conor Mc has been discarded the last few games, he’s had a decent season so far and is a better option than Power in the position - and it lets us use Power in midfield who again is having a good season.

Think he had a shocker after coming back from international duty (Oxford I think?) but I have to agree that he has been very decent this season.

I’m not sure why Conor Mc has been discarded the last few games, he’s had a decent season so far and is a better option than Power in the position - and it lets us use Power in midfield who again is having a good season.

I reckons its because Power is better at crossing the ball. I could never imagine it's for his defensive positioning and tackling

I think a lot depends on who we are playing.
Against Hull we need defenders defending, but when we are trying to break down a team with 9 behind the ball, 09 or gooch as right back pushing on adds to the attack.
O'Nien is terrible getting forward as a right back. For one, he can't cross a ball. Two, he doesn't understand the overlap. Three, he gets to 75 yards out and stands still, fannying about with little triangles.

O'Nien is terrible getting forward as a right back. For one, he can't cross a ball. Two, he doesn't understand the overlap. Three, he gets to 75 yards out and stands still, fannying about with little triangles.

He's the Jack of all trades but master of none. Personally I'd like to see him in a three man midfield with one sitting deeper (Leadbitter or Power) and the other two including him pushing to press high up the pitch and get in the box as well.

Agree he's a central midfielder. The sooner he gets in that role the better for the whole team as it means we'll have defenders playing in their natural positions

My opinion reckon it was, and O’Nien is good at getting forward.
Well when exactly did this run occur then? It certainly wasn't this season?

Was it under Jack Ross? Our best run back then was with Matthews at right back when he won player of the month and we actually turned a few sides over.

He's the Jack of all trades but master of none. Personally I'd like to see him in a three man midfield with one sitting deeper (Leadbitter or Power) and the other two including him pushing to press high up the pitch and get in the box as well.
Thinking about it I'd rather Leadbitter or Scowen sat deep and Power pushed up with O'Nien as Power provides more of a goal threat than Scowen

IF he plays in midfield, it has to be as part of a three. He's far too undisciplined otherwise.

I'm not convinced he's a very good midfielder.
Agree he's a central midfielder. The sooner he gets in that role the better for the whole team as it means we'll have defenders playing in their natural positions
O'Nien does have some quality on the ball - certainly more so than Bailey Wright. I think that's allowed us to play out from the back a little and take some pressure off the midfielders. Teams are getting wise to it though, and they're pressing both Sanderson and O'Nien.

O'Nien's fine with the ball at his feet in space, which suits him at centre half. I think he struggles in a midfield where there's pressure on the ball.

Last edited:
IF he plays in midfield, it has to be as part of a three. He's far too undisciplined otherwise.

I'm not convinced he's a very good midfielder.

O'Nien does have some quality on the ball - certainly more so than Bailey Wright. I think that's allowed us to play out from the back a little and take some pressure off the midfielders. Teams are getting wise to it though, and they're pressing both Sanderson and O'Nien.

O'Nien's fine with the ball at his feet in space, which suits him at centre half. I think he struggles in a midfield where there's pressure on the ball.
Agree but he could be good in.crowded midfield breaking forward and willing fouls further up. Also just pissing off op teams.

Back