Riga, Latvia

Can anyone recommend the best area to stay? I'll probably look for Airbnb in first instance.

Also any highlights/culture? Food and drink reasonable? Uber from airport to the city?

Don't need to hear stories of scams etc. from strip clubs as I know that things like that go on in all Eastern Euro cities and hopefully I'm savvy enough to avoid.

All old threads now locked so started a new one.

Miera lela in Brasa and the old town are the best places. Relatively cheap, local cuisine nothing flash. All in my opinion of course.

Last edited:
I usually stay in the Radisson Daugava which is the other side of the river but only a 10 minute walk into the old town. It’s a bit cheaper than the other Radissons. Definitely look for the Kiwi Bar in the old town and there’s a decent Indian restaurant next door. A walk along to the Radisson Latvijas is worthwhile as you can hit the Sky Bar on the 15th floor (or something) and get a cracking view of the city. It’s not that cheap in there mind but the Kiwi Bar has decent prices.

I honestly thought it was utterly shit

And I like most east European cities

I agree-- i have visited numerous european cities in the former eastern bloc area and Riga was the poorest in my opinion-- not exactly cheap either compared to Krakow/Gdansk/Wroclow/Tallin etc etc

I wasn’t fussed on the place like, I love most Eastern European cities too but this one was bland.

ditto

Stayed in the avotu iela area about 30 minutes walk from the old town, proper local area, pub down the road was €1 a pint.

The old town is great though, as mentioned the sky bar and the kiwi bar are worth a visit (I don’t usually like themed bars but I didn’t mind the kiwi bar).

Also take a day trip for Jurmala on the coast, short/cheap train ride away.

I honestly thought it was utterly shit

And I like most east European cities

I liked it, better than Vilnius

Back