Ricky Ponting : The Leader of Legends

He was apparently ridiculously good even as a kid. I’m sure I’ve read that Australians could tell he was going to be special even when he was like 10/11 year old.

Of course we’re going to dislike him, but any country in the world would of loved him in their team.

Watching on Sky, hated the bloke when he was playing but what a world class player, also seems a decent chap when speaking. I really detested him when he was Captain but he seems ok, anybody else hate or love him?
I think that is the point of sporting (well cricketing) rivalry - you absolutely detest them as players (because they destroy the team you support) but actually you respect them as cricketers and after they retire (most of them) appear to be decent blokes. Ponting, Gilchrist, McGrath & Warne - "hated" them all, but respected them. When the dust has settled you can't help but say that Ricky Ponting as an absolutely brilliant batsman
What a tremendous batsman though. No flaws, weaknesses, appetite for big runs, saw his team through some difficult moments and was a star in all formats. It was a relief when he got out.
Well, he wasn't all that against a Freddie outswinger....

:lol:
love mcgrath on commentary, think he is excellent.

especially when he's having to commentate on england beating them mind
That last hour at Headingley is brilliant. Have listened to it so many times, especially the bits where you hear McGrath crying "no NOOOO!" and Aggers (playfully) goading him

"England can't lose! Glen - England CAN'T LOSE" (With a massive grin on his face)

Last edited:
Ponting's innings to save the Old Trafford test in 2005 is up there among the best I've ever seen. If you could tempt him into trying to sweep he was very susceptible but that seldom happened.

I enjoyed his little tip on how to play spin in the subcontinent. So simple and seemingly obvious but so few would've thought of it.

That last hour at Headingley is brilliant. Have listened to it so many times, especially the bits where you hear McGrath crying "no NOOOO!" and Aggers (playfully) goading him

"England can't lose! Glen - England CAN'T LOSE" (With a massive grin on his face)

.....or can they?

Ponting's innings to save the Old Trafford test in 2005 is up there among the best I've ever seen. If you could tempt him into trying to sweep he was very susceptible but that seldom happened.

I enjoyed his little tip on how to play spin in the subcontinent. So simple and seemingly obvious but so few would've thought of it.
What was the tip? Or are you keeping it to yourself for your next test appearance over there? ;)

What was the tip? Or are you keeping it to yourself for your next test appearance over there? ;)

:lol:

Just moved his feet a few inches as the ball was being bowled, so effectively his guard was between middle and off stump, which gave him more room to either attack or defend the ball.

It would've just meant me being out plumb lbw for the Sunday league third XI but it works for people with talent.

He still found it tough going in India but had a lot of success against Murali in Sri Lanka.

Back