After Life

Yeah I get that, but to then show no emotion about it, I just lost faith with the character a bit.

Oh aye or manslaughter, you'd go down

Its a TV show so thats not the issue for me like, its almost like he wrote it for dramatic effect (I thought it was a really good powerful scene) its just the lack of follow up

I don't get it, didn't tie up with the charachter at all

As I say in post above, I think it was a class scene, great TV, it was just the next episode I was non-plussed, I kept waiting for it to be brought up then it never was really
Not sure of the timeline but was it not that and the hammer with kid etc where he had a massive wake up call and the new Tony appeared ?His brother in law shouting at him saying WTF??

Life policy of his missus
She appeared to be a painter and probably the main earner

Last edited:
Not sure of the timeline but was it not that and the hammer with kid etc where he had a massive wake up call and the new Tony appeared ?His brother in law shouting at him saying WTF??

She appeared to be a painter and probably the main earner
Do painters earn a lot like?
I think her main role was to show what a great bloke he used to be by him constantly pouring water on her. Which is what lovely blokes do to their wives apparently.

Do painters earn a lot like?
I think her main role was to show what a great bloke he used to be by him constantly pouring water on her. Which is what lovely blokes do to their wives apparently.
Good ones do ,clearly she was the earner
It'll be lots of stuff he did that made her love him ,he just recorded the japes ,it's quite a common thing

Thought it was special bit of TV. Gervais’ writing of emotional topics is fantastic and he gets a really nice balance between humour and sensitivity.

Agree with this. I can't say that I'm a huge Gervais fan - but I thought it was a superb bit of TV. Loved the contrast between really funny and really emotional scenes.

Few things now I’ve finished it -
1. He’s ducking full of himself - smug, totally sentimental yet desperate to patronisingly lecture the world
2. He’s basically written a part for himself that is him yet he can’t really act it
3. Dennis Pennis, Ashley Jensen and the ginger lass in the office are criminally underused and given barely a funny line between them
4. He’s written it all himself I think. Does that mean Merchant was the brains behind the office? Seems odd but fcking hell has he ran out of ideas ? :eek:
5. In the plus side it was nearer Cemetery Junction (which is no great shakes) than the utter shit fest that was that Brent film.:lol:
Apart from that it was ok I suppose
Watched three episodes and I've given up mostly for the reasons stated above.
It's cliched with barely an original line or idea in it. It's written as if he's never met a real person in his life. Smack addict, has a bit of an unruly beard but otherwise perfectly lucid and normal. Prostitute, big hair and big tits with clean clothes and shiny new shoes. Depressed, suicidal man, drinks shit loads but is never drunk. Tries to kill himself multiple times but is always 'saved' by his dog.
Would never have been made if his name wasn't behind it. It's a vehicle for him to be offensive and patronising whilst hiding behind a 'character'.

Watched in one go after the wife had seen it while I was in hospital and recommended it.
Thought it was great and a bit gutted it was finished after 6 episodes

Season 2 due next year.

I watched a couple a while back and then got distracted by something. Just watched the other 4 on the belt. Fantastic stuff, though I probably cried nearly as much as I laughed.

Back