After Life

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Gervais must have followed me and the wife around for a while (My missus started as a journalist on a local paper and has a Dad with dementia, also called Ray :eek:), some of the stories from the paper are too close to home.

How can a bloke who works for a free paper make such a good living that he can afford to run a house on his own in an affluent market town (which is apparently near a beach), has started on heroin (but just the twice and didn't take it any further) has a prostitute friend has perfect teeth and skin, make such a good living? :lol:

His missus worked full time and they don't have kids.

Started last night with a nightcap before bed. 3 Episodes in, and Mrs. theMackem said I must have been enjoying it because she could hear me roaring with laughter all the way through.

Absolutely brilliant. So we'll acted and written. The characters developed so quickly in only a few episodes, it had us laughing and crying, so, so good.

And then the last episode can fuck right off. It was dark all the way through, why did everyone have to have a nicely tied in, sugar sweet, happy ending?

I think that's the Hollywood 100 million dollar cgi territory

Its more in The Detectorists camp,well written,good attention to detail and takes you through a lot of emotions
I didn't realise it was only 6 episodes until I started watching episode 6 and then I knew instantly. There was a very sudden change in Ricky's character that he only really displayed with the old lady and the prostitute before.

I enjoyed it. Definitely thought his change of character was rushed in the last episode though.

My mum is currently visiting. She did not approve of the language. :lol:

I didn't realise it was only 6 episodes until I started watching episode 6 and then I knew instantly. There was a very sudden change in Ricky's character that he only really displayed with the old lady and the prostitute before.

I enjoyed it. Definitely thought his change of character was rushed in the last episode though.

My son (14) is a big fan but some of his stuff is just a step too far ,more the sex stuff with his dirty mate (Derek) which is a shame .I don't think the C word adds anything ,or the Rape comment

It was ok, used many scenarios to get his ideas of how people should act in certain situations he's found himself in over twitter, which I found slightly preachy but was amusing nevertheless and also very sad.

Agreed, could've done with another couple of episodes to get to that point.

Also the total lack of remorse over effectively killing that heroin addict didn't quite fit in. Didn't feel like the right sort of reaction.

Overall though very good.

Agreed, could've done with another couple of episodes to get to that point.

Also the total lack of remorse over effectively killing that heroin addict didn't quite fit in. Didn't feel like the right sort of reaction.

Overall though very good.
I dunno on that one, maybe he saw it as a good deed done.

Love threads like this just to see everyone arguing about whether it's funny or not! It's almost as if people forget that others can have a different taste in comedy and neither side will ever persuade the other that they're wrong, it's totally subjective.

Personally I don't mind Gervais, don't think he's a genius or anything but he's done some things that I find quite funny. Probably need to rewatch the office because I wasn't massively into it and I'm wondering if I'd appreciate it more now.

Afterlife was okay, I watched it in one sitting, it had a couple of laugh out loud moments, some of it was thought provoking but I didn't think it was a classic in any sense. I agree with others about the recycled jokes mind, the bit about the 93 year old being "scarred for life" etc, fairly amusing but seemed lazy to be hearing some of the exact same jokes lifted from other material. Still, it was canny enough for a couple hours entertainment

Back