Rick and Morty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cartoons? Family Guy, American Dad, Futurama.

Shows? True Detective (season 1), The Wire, House of Cards, Fargo (seasons 1&2).

Are any jokes in Rick and Morty funny? Name one joke/scene.

I don't want to put any spoilers in the thread for people that decide to watch it, but the programme is absolutely riddled with jokes. I've watched the same episode 4 or 5 times over and found new jokes every time. Where it is very original is that it avoids all politics, it doesn't have a political agenda, but it likes to call out hypocrisy. Even when it portrays politicians, it portrays them as individuals rather than taking party lines. South Park was quite shocking when it first came out and started making social commentary by parodying famous people and politicians. Rick and Morty parodies the concept of famous people and politicians, and largely ignores them.

In the first few minutes of that first episode there is a joke they threw in that made me think "This is going to be a very original series" when they deliberately setup an antagonist and started getting you thinking "Oh, it is going to be one of those" and with 15 seconds they just obliterated the whole scenario.

*POSSIBLE SPOILER*
They had one episode in the current series where they did a big media push about this massive new big baddie, they did trailers about the design work and the thinking behind him, his motivations, where he came from, the artists going on about the inspiration for how he looks, how he was going to be the biggest challenge Rick and Morty will ever face, this time its serious etc. And then when the programme was actually broadcast, the first appearance of this bad guy, he is already dead and turned inside out, and that is last you hear of him. I love that kind of approach, particularly in the era when pointless over hyped promotion of very slight things dominates the media (football being a good example). They just want to pull apart every hypocritical and naive element of present day society and show it up for what it is. Rick just walks around the universe with his hand over his face sighing at how society is gormless enough to get fucked over by whoever is f***ing them over this week.

I don't want to put any spoilers in the thread for people that decide to watch it, but the programme is absolutely riddled with jokes. I've watched the same episode 4 or 5 times over and found new jokes every time. Where it is very original is that it avoids all politics, it doesn't have a political agenda, but it likes to call out hypocrisy. Even when it portrays politicians, it portrays them as individuals rather than taking party lines. South Park was quite shocking when it first came out and started making social commentary by parodying famous people and politicians. Rick and Morty parodies the concept of famous people and politicians, and largely ignores them.

In the first few minutes of that first episode there is a joke they threw in that made me think "This is going to be a very original series" when they deliberately setup an antagonist and started getting you thinking "Oh, it is going to be one of those" and with 15 seconds they just obliterated the whole scenario.

*POSSIBLE SPOILER*
They had one episode in the current series where they did a big media push about this massive new big baddie, they did trailers about the design work and the thinking behind him, his motivations, where he came from, the artists going on about the inspiration for how he looks, how he was going to be the biggest challenge Rick and Morty will ever face, this time its serious etc. And then when the programme was actually broadcast, the first appearance of this bad guy, he is already dead and turned inside out, and that is last you hear of him. I love that kind of approach, particularly in the era when pointless over hyped promotion of very slight things dominates the media (football being a good example). They just want to pull apart every hypocritical and naive element of present day society and show it up for what it is. Rick just walks around the universe with his hand over his face sighing at how society is gormless enough to get fucked over by whoever is f***ing them over this week.

If you find R&M funny then that's great. Imo everybody should watch something and decide if it's funny for themselves, including R&M.

I just don't get why fans of the show get outraged and insult people that say they don't like it. Not only ITT but on other forums/boards. It's something you never see with other shows. I commented that I didn't like it ITT and within 3 posts I was being called an idiot. :lol: I like Family Guy. If you don't, then hey that's fine. It doesn't warrant an insult.

Everyone should try Rick and Morty. If you think it's great, good. If you think it's shite, then we have something in common. No need for people to overreact.

Enjoy the show.

Sigh, let's do this.

... I commented that I didn't like it ITT and within 3 posts I was being called an idiot. .
1) The post was clearly tongue in cheek, hence the razz emoji, believe it or not I couldn't care less which shows you enjoy.
2) You weren't called an idiot, you were called a crap person. I guess you're either a liar or stupid, take your pick.
3) Which season of family guy? Because like the Simpsons it's ranged from brilliant to dog shit over the years.

Sigh, let's do this.

1) The post was clearly tongue in cheek, hence the razz emoji, believe it or not I couldn't care less which shows you enjoy.
2) You weren't called an idiot, you were called a crap person. I guess you're either a liar or stupid, take your pick.
3) Which season of family guy? Because like the Simpsons it's ranged from brilliant to dog shit over the years.

Not you mate, I commented on it on a different thread and was immedietly called an idiot (although being called a crap person was equally cutting :mad:). I'll try and find it. Same happens all ower the the internet.

FG isn't as good now I agree. Stopped being great 2 years ago but it's still better than Doc and Marty.. oops I mean Rick and Morty ;)

FG isn't as good now I agree. Stopped being great 2 years ago but it's still better than Doc and Marty.. oops I mean Rick and Morty ;)

I'd tune into new Rick and Morty before new family guy these days. Some of the old family guy episodes were f***ing hilarious though.

I'd tune into new Rick and Morty before new family guy these days. Some of the old family guy episodes were f***ing hilarious though.
I've gone off Family Guy tbh. I stopped watching at season 13 (it's at 16 now). I gave Rick and Morty a try but just didn't find it funny at all. Surprised me really because I love sci-fi and am a slight Physics nerd.

Different strokes I guess. But, if people like it then good for them.

It is *burp* shite though. ;):cool:

I would give it at least 3 or 4 episodes before anyone makes up their mind, if you're not won over by then it just isn't for you.

Reactions: PTR
One of the best animated things out, the writing is fantastic.

This and South Park are excellent. Still have a soft spot for the Simpsons and family guy was great... not so much the new ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back