Richard Okorogheye - Missing

lurker

Striker
19 year old boy missing since 22nd March in London.

Hasn’t had the same level of coverage in the media as the recent Sarah Everard case did, and you wonder if the police are throwing the same man power behind it.

I fear that because he’s a young black lad and not a white woman, a bit of unconscious bias may creep in to some of the media reporting, deciding whether to treat it as seriously as a news story, (no one has so far started a thread on it either) and also police decision making. I hope I’m wrong.

Most of all I hope the lad is found and is safe and well, he has some serious medical conditions so fear for the lad.

Another guy missing fairly local, been in the country for a month,Pakistani, staying with his sister, went for a walk in the park about a week back, vanished.

19 year old man - he's not a boy is he?
Old enough to leave home, so the police won't be looking in as much a hurry as a woman woman who was walking home at night and disappeared during her walk.
I don't think the colour of his skin comes into it really.
Shame that he has medical condition that needs medication, which he doesn't have with him by all accounts.
Fingers crossed he turns up alive.

Old enough to leave home, so the police won't be looking in as much a hurry as a woman woman who was walking home at night and disappeared during her walk.
Shame that he has medical condition that needs medication, which he doesn't have with him by all accounts.
The woman was 33 mate.

Men are not as big a priority in these situations as women regardless of race. Mostly, I suppose, because Men are more likely to disappear off on their own in a period of mental health instability and there is a much lower risk of men being kidnapped and murdered randomly on the whim of some evil fucker

From an article in the Independent:
The teenager was shielding due to health reasons during the coronavirus lockdown and had told her he was “struggling to cope” with university, which he had been attending virtually.

A lad who was struggling with shielding and has taken off is a bit different from a girl who headed home from a friend’s house and didn’t make it home. I might be wrong, and I hope I am and he turns up safe, but it sounds more like he’s done a runner and perhaps done something to himself rather than having been abducted/attacked as was the case in the Sarah Everard case, which will be why it’s had less media attention.

Last edited:
I am well aware of that thank you.
She also had a place of her own and a career, a life away from her parents.

This boy still lived with his mother and studied.

So definitely less of an adult, in the traditional sense.
From an article in the Independent:
The teenager was shielding due to health reasons during the coronavirus lockdown and had told her he was “struggling to cope” with university, which he had been attending virtually.

A lad who was struggling with shielding and has taken off is a bit different from a girl who headed home from a friend’s house and didn’t make it home. I might be wrong, and I hope I am and he turns up safe, but it sounds more like he’s done a runner and perhaps done something to himself rather than having been abducted/attacked as was the case in the Sarah Everard case, which will be why it’s had less media attention.
People said the same about Sarah Everard at first.
Men are not as big a priority in these situations as women regardless of race. Mostly, I suppose, because Men are more likely to disappear off on their own in a period of mental health instability and there is a much lower risk of men being kidnapped and murdered randomly on the whim of some evil fucker
Black men are given less attention than white
Loads of people go missing every day, some are never heard of again. Sarah Everard probably only made the news because she was pretty, well off and went missing in an affluent area. If she'd been black she would have got the same coverage.
She wouldn’t have lived in the same area.

Last edited:
Loads of people go missing every day, some are never heard of again. Sarah Everard probably only made the news because she was pretty, well off and went missing in an affluent area. If she'd been black she would have got the same coverage.
This. Unfortunately

She also had a place of her own and a career, a life away from her parents.

This boy still lived with his mother and studied.

So definitely less of an adult, in the traditional sense.

People said the same about Sarah Everard at first.

Black men are given less attention than white

She wouldn’t have lived in the same area.

I just googled his name - news reports came up from The Independent - BBC - SkyNews - Daily Mail - Metro - The Guardian - Evening Standard - News Shopper (whatever that is) & The Sun. What more attention do you think would help with finding him?

I just googled his name - news reports came up from The Independent - BBC - SkyNews - Daily Mail - Metro - The Guardian - Evening Standard - News Shopper (whatever that is) & The Sun. What more attention do you think would help with finding him?
Maybe the same level of coverage that the other missing person got. You can’t seriously be denying that there’s been less coverage about this. If it even gets a fleeting mention on the news later I’ll be surprised.

The missing white, middle class woman was top story.

Two completely different situations though.

Sarah Everard was foul play and they suspected that from the outset.

This young kid is missing and suspected he’s took himself off and done himself harm from reading between the lines.
I think such speculation is damaging. You’re being biased, what’s to say there hasn’t been foul play?

I think such speculation is damaging. You’re being biased, what’s to say there hasn’t been foul play?
Because the police will have looked into it. Plus, the last line in the story that states he’s been struggling with his uni course.

It’s very sad but I suspect he’s either ran away or taken his own life not been abducted and murdered.

Maybe the same level of coverage that the other missing person got. You can’t seriously be denying that there’s been less coverage about this. If it even gets a fleeting mention on the news later I’ll be surprised.

The missing white, middle class woman was top story.

Apparently, "The volume of missing person cases the Metropolitan Police is having to deal with is "absolutely unsustainable", a senior officer has said. London has seen a 72% increase in reported cases in the past decade, with about 55,000 cases each year". Are you suggesting that as a society we apply the same resources to every single missing person report regardless of circumstance? Each case needs to be considered individually and a 30-something woman disappearing in the circumstances she did automatically raises more concerns than a 19 year old uni student lad going off the radar does - at least for the first 48 hours. The vast majority of similar cases to the young lad will either result in him turning up safe after a mental burnout or tragically committed suicide. The chances that he's been kept against his will is far lower.

You can't just look at two completely different cases and claim institutional racisim

You've just highlighted a scenario under which a missing person's whereabouts should be prioritised.

You've just highlighted a scenario under which a missing person's whereabouts should be prioritised.
And it has been. It seems to have been picked up by every news site which is more than most similar cases that I can recall. But the question was whether the reason his case has less coverage than a likely kidnap/ murder was institutional prejudice that the level of coverage/ police response applied. My argument is that the 2 cases are both tragic but very different circumstances

Probably not as much coverage cos the flatties don't suspect foul play.

Back