Revolut

It doesn't work for pay at the pump but it worked for me a few times when paying inside after filling up.
I had a pre-paid credit card and that wouldn't work on any terminals, inlcuding pay at pump. Seems to be something to do with the pre-paid system in general.

I had a pre-paid credit card and that wouldn't work on any terminals, inlcuding pay at pump. Seems to be something to do with the pre-paid system in general.

Aye they can be useless for that. Thats why I switched fully to Monzo - proper bank, proper debit card now as well.

Aye they can be useless for that. Thats why I switched fully to Monzo - proper bank, proper debit card now as well.
I suspect its because Visa/Mastercard don't get much cut for these "terminal payment systems", compared to the charges they levy in normal shops.
i.e. there's nowt in it for them

For all those saying it's pre-paid

It's not a pre-paid card, its a bank account.

If you dont have money in your bank account it also wont work at the shops

It is a prepaid card. It even says prepaid on the back of the card.

They have lite banking functionality (sort code and account number) which is setup through an underlying bank.
They also have direct debit functionality being ran through a company called Modulr.

I work for a prepaid card issuer ;)

For all those saying it's pre-paid

It's not a pre-paid card, its a bank account.

If you dont have money in your bank account it also wont work at the shops
It’s not a bank, there is no deposit protection yet. It will become a bank as it has a banking licence since 2018, but it isn’t one yet.

it’s a pre-paid card.

After some views :
I have a bunch of dollars in my revolut account - circa $3k for a Vegas trip that’s bound to be cancelled now.
Revolut aren’t included in the FSCS so I’m wondering how safe it is in the current climate. Exchange rates are super low so if I pull it I’d make a couple of hundred quid but if it stays low longer term it will hit me next trip

Anyone else concerned ?

Safeguarding helps protect you if we were to become insolvent. Safeguarding regulations make sure that once we have paid any costs related to an administrator or liquidator, we must repay you from our ring-fenced accounts before we repay any others we owe money to.

Unfortunately, the law doesn't allow us to pay you interest, and the money in your account isn't covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme.

Back