Returning to the north east after 44 years

It doesn’t . It’s like a micro climate . Nearly always warmer than elsewhere in the UK too

I love lots of things about back home but if there is one thing that’s a constant pain it’s the shocking miserable weather. It seems every time I come up it’s either miserable drizzle or wind, or both, or it’s happened recently and the ground is still wet. Granted not as bad as the west coast but still infuriating. If it had good weather the beaches would be an economic boom area from seaton Carew up to Northumberland
It will be the cold wind that sticks in your mind. It hardly rains here in Sunderland. I've got an allotment and I can remember every day. We probably have the worse weather in the UK but not because of rain. The NE coast is dry as sticks.
Heathrow area must be included in the micro-climate,fantastic weather today.
Too hot. I worked in Southall for a year and it gets uncomfortable in the summer.

Last edited:

London is surrounded on 3 sides by hills in what's known as The London Basin. It gets plenty of sunshine, probably about the same as Sunderland and the rainfall is comparable. In summer it's always a lot warmer down the smoke but in winter they get plenty of days colder than Sunderland when the wind is coming from the continent. The biggest difference is the wind, it always seems windy up in Sunderland and loads more foggy days. I'm living down Portsmouth and get sick of explaining to people down here that it doesn't rain all the time up there, they never believe me.
Lyrics like this from a Genesis song don't help dispel the belief either.

"For a gaol can give you a goal
[and a] goal can find you a role
On a muddy pitch in Newcastle,
Where it rains so much"

Back on topic, my missus is from down south and loves it up in Sunderland she wants to move up there. Not a f***ing chance I tell her, being on holiday up there is completely different from living there. Although once I retire I might change my mind. I have made it clear though once I die I want my ashes dumped off the end of Roker Pier, I've checked the tides and there is zero chance of them drifting anywhere near the tyne.
Great song. I had always thought that the negative comment about Newcastle was because of the mauling that Genesis got from the audience at the City Hall when supporting Lindisfarne. Another in similar vein is in Blood on the Rooftops, “the grime on the Tyne is all mine”.
Did the OP ever move back home??? Don’t fancy wading through 11 pages or people saying where they live is better than where everyone lives.
Yes I did. Love it..... and the weather is great.

Last edited:
Great song. I had always thought that the negative comment about Newcastle was because of the mauling that Genesis got from the audience at the City Hall when supporting Lindisfarne. Another in similar vein is in Blood on the Rooftops, “the grime on the Tyne is all mine”.

Yes I did. Love it..... and the weather is great.
Glad to hear it, can’t be easy moving back after all that time, has it been an easy assimilation?

plenty of negatives about up here but personally I’ve always loved it, beach two minutes from my house, relatively quiet, plenty to do and not too faraway from the countryside when I want it.

Found the move back very easy, the natural thing to do. Don’t miss the south at all, in fact would probably never travel there again if my children weren‘t scattered around the place.

Stlll getting used to people saying “hello” as they pass by. Rarely happened down there. Agree with your positives in particular going into the hills of Durham and the seaside..

Back