Return to the office campaign...

Neither of those is a good thing in my opinion.

My boss is the type who will work to all hours - often get emails from him that he'd sent after 11pm. That's not healthy in my book. There's a lack of structure there and an attitude bordering almost on obsession that can't be healthy from a mental perspective.

Agree with this.

I'm not saying it's a good thing or not, was simply addressing the poster who thinks flexible wfh means a standard working day, but with people darting off for coffees, picking up kids etc. That's bollocks. Unless you have numbnuts management you'd simply not be able to get away with it as you'd not be as productive. Or if you were, it'd mean you busted a gut to get all tasks done and also fit other things in.

The stats at our place are up, with a more flexible approach, where you do your seven or so hours across the day however which way you want.

Most people who like working from home do so because they can get around child care issues and not have horrendous commutes, which is essentially dead/wasted time.

Last edited:

Neither of those is a good thing in my opinion.

My boss is the type who will work to all hours - often get emails from him that he'd sent after 11pm. That's not healthy in my book. There's a lack of structure there and an attitude bordering almost on obsession that can't be healthy from a mental perspective.

Agree with this.
A few years ago, I was promoted to manage the team I was in and realised after a while that if I’m working late, signing when off etc it puts pressure on the team to do the same. I decided for the good of the team and workplace not to do that. I prefer my free time anyway.

On the rare occasion I have worked late (from home), I’ve been known to compose a few mails and not click send until the next morning.

A few years ago, I was promoted to manage the team I was in and realised after a while that if I’m working late, signing when off etc it puts pressure on the team to do the same. I decided for the good of the team and workplace not to do that. I prefer my free time anyway.

On the rare occasion I have worked late (from home), I’ve been known to compose a few mails and not click send until the next morning.

The latter is exactly the way to go about it. Most of the issues people are highlighting is shite management.

Well I don't have to worry about going back to the office anymore as I was told today I'm being made redundant at the end of furlough. That's life I guess folks.

Hadn't thought of that marra. Was thinking those in the main office sites.

You're taking crap. Flexible working means you work around those things. You can often find yourself working much earlier and later than normal. And someone must be rigging our places stats as productivity is up.

If it was the more rigid type hours you're on about then it's easy to keep tabs on. Software allows people to see if people are available, active etc.

People are in favour as it means they can both work and take care of other things in their life.

And some are not in favour as well. Mental health has been a big issue for some during this malarkey.
Wfh and flexible working are two different things though...

You're taking crap. Flexible working means you work around those things. You can often find yourself working much earlier and later than normal. And someone must be rigging our places stats as productivity is up.

If it was the more rigid type hours you're on about then it's easy to keep tabs on. Software allows people to see if people are available, active etc.

People are in favour as it means they can both work and take care of other things in their life.

And some are not in favour as well. Mental health has been a big issue for some during this malarkey.
Our place has shown an increase in productivity as well as an increase in worked hours.

I'm not saying it's a good thing or not, was simply addressing the poster who thinks flexible wfh means a standard working day, but with people darting off for coffees, picking up kids etc. That's bollocks. Unless you have numbnuts management you'd simply not be able to get away with it as you'd not be as productive. Or if you were, it'd mean you busted a gut to get all tasks done and also fit other things in.

The stats at our place are up, with a more flexible approach, where you do your seven or so hours across the day however which way you want.

Most people who like working from home do so because they can get around child care issues and not have horrendous commutes, which is essentially dead/wasted time.
What stats are measured? More sales? More calls? More resolved support calls? Is the business making more money?
Our place has shown an increase in productivity as well as an increase in worked hours.
Out of interest what are your KPIs for increased productivity ? Just wondering what people
Are measuring

Last edited:

Totally agree plus so much time wasted at work with distractions and meaningless chat which when added up is probably more than any distractions at home. I'm much more focused and getting more done.
Thank you, it's not great but I'll still have my bairn and a roof over my head I guess :)
Hope you find something soon like.

Last edited:
Totally agree plus so much time wasted at work with distractions and meaningless chat which when added up is probably more than any distractions at home. I'm much more focused and getting more done.

Hope you find something soon like.
I won't - but thanks :neutral: (the jobs market is bad enough now, when furlough ends it will most likely be nigh on impossible to get anything that I can work around the bairn / being a single parent).

I won't - but thanks :neutral: (the jobs market is bad enough now, when furlough ends it will most likely be nigh on impossible to get anything that I can work around the bairn / being a single parent).
It depends on what you do, but I think working from home is something that can really help parents. This morning, I signed in and did a few bits early on, took my son to school then settled in to work again by about half nine. It is much harder to do that sort of thing if you are office bound.

Wfh and flexible working are two different things though...

Correct. Although one incorporates the other. I also shot down the suggest those doing standard wfh are off to the shops, having coffees, taking kids to school etc all within their normal day instead of doing work. They'd be pulled up in no time. So those who do, if it's true, must also be knocking the work off sharpish.

It depends on what you do, but I think working from home is something that can really help parents. This morning, I signed in and did a few bits early on, took my son to school then settled in to work again by about half nine. It is much harder to do that sort of thing if you are office bound.
I'm an admin / telephone person (a bit of an all rounder - I did a bit of all kinds tbh).

Yup. The ones against it tend to be those who for whatever reason can't, and are bitter about it.

Spot on. Some taties think if you're in the office that's all that matters. When you could be talking to colleagues about nowt, going for loads of tea breaks etc.

It's clearly just bitterness as some can't WFH, and despite stats often proving otherwise, think everyone is just chilling out watching the box or going out :lol:

Last edited:
Were a few companies not taking on people who could be almost telesales from home. I think a lot of furloughed did it but with a lot going back to work there may be options, just rang a bell that's all,no pun intended
Telesales is a no no, I can sell (I do it very well) but I'd probably be looking for a customer service style role as I'm currently struggling with anxiety / depression and cold calling / sales targets would probably push me over the edge tbh.

Back