Return to the office campaign...

Been in 3 days this week and 2 from home. Very likely my regular working pattern going forward. Lovely to be back in a nice cool office. Having the mix makes you appreciate the working from home days more. Total working from home was eventually dragging me down.
Been in a couple of our offices over the last few weeks and enjoyed being back, as you say makes you appreciate the days working from home.

Even enjoyed the argument over the air conditioning in the office.

I know I know, it’s the Mail, but according to this allowing people to work flexibly from home could become law.
It seems a strange policy for the Tories to me

It will happen anyway. If the majority of companies continue long term flexible working, which they certainly will, the ones that don’t will become increasingly unattractive if that’s what employees want. Which it is.

The government don’t need to do anything, market forces will make the non progressive organisations struggle to attract good people if they don’t offer the same working practices that people overwhelmingly want and most companies are

It will happen anyway. If the majority of companies continue long term flexible working, which they certainly will, the ones that don’t will become increasingly unattractive if that’s what employees want. Which it is.

The government don’t need to do anything, market forces will make the non progressive organisations struggle to attract good people if they don’t offer the same working practices that people overwhelmingly want and most companies are
I agree and it seems daft changing laws when as you say it’ll happen anyway.

You could use the extra time to do more work. This is the problem with working from home, going to Asda, getting a haircut, going to the gym, watching Bargain Hunt always seems to take priority

and there we go
Deary me. God forbid people actually having a life outside of work.

I've saved up to 10 hours a week travelling. In many respects its been life changing for people. But you just think we should give that time up for free to our employer. :lol: Absolute fruitloop thinking that like.

Been in a couple of our offices over the last few weeks and enjoyed being back, as you say makes you appreciate the days working from home.

Even enjoyed the argument over the air conditioning in the office.
Next Wednesday meeting up with a couple of workmates for the first time in over a year in the "office". We have each booked a 2 hour slot one after each other at a local establishment for an afternoon meeting - you cant do that at home:cool:

I agree and it seems daft changing laws when as you say it’ll happen anyway.
The laws will be changed for those who can't get out of current roles and work for dinosaurs.
Next Wednesday meeting up with a couple of workmates for the first time in over a year in the "office". We have each booked a 2 hour slot one after each other at a local establishment for an afternoon meeting - you cant do that at home:cool:
No, but wfh means you can just do what you're doing anyway without ever going back in :cool:

Last edited:
Why would anyone want to do more work? :lol: Sadcase behaviour.

Baffles me this attitude. We had like a digital Q and A session type thing yesterday where you could post anonymously. Someone quite politely asked when they could go back in the office because they missed the crack. Wasn’t quite phrased that way. But you get the idea.

They were set upon by some busy body who was saying ‘that shouldn’t be a reason to go back to the office, when I’m there, I’m there to work’

Funnily enough a load of higher ups were on said chat. Brown nosey cock womble.

The laws will be changed for those who can't get out of current roles and work for dinosaurs.

No, but wfh means you can just do what you're doing anyway without ever going back in :cool:
Probably this. I can imagine a former boss really not liking the idea. He used to like to stand looking over peoples shoulders and knowing exactly what they were doing, then interrupting to tell them how much money he had and how clever he was. Well, from 11 o'clock onwards, when he would finally waddle into work. He would have a fit at the thought of people working from home.

It is a difficult policy to get right. The technicians team at my work are unhappy because they are mostly on site at the moment while the people in IT who do servers, applications, to some extent networks, programming etc, can all work from home. We are bringing in a policy to encourage working from home and they can't. Even asking them "what percentage of your job needs to be onsite?", they admit 95% but want to work from home anyway. There needs to be a clear definition for people who's jobs just don't allow them to work from home to say they can't. But on the other hand, that can't be a loophole for a dinosaur boss who says people can't work from home because they can't keep their beady eye on them.

I've not been in the office since I started a new job in February. It's been tough at times, but they probably get more out of me. I'm usually sat at my desk by 8 am and log off at 5:30 pm at the earliest.

If I was going into an office, Id be arriving in at 9 and away at 5 to get my daughter from the Nursery.

Works both ways, no commute so I think well I may as well just get started!

Eh? Why would you willingly work an extra 2 hours everyday for free? What a mentalist.

If it meant you got a salary increase of 25% while saving the travel costs, I would.

Absolutely typical that I worked in an office for the last twenty five years and all the work from home/furloughs nonsense happened in the one year I wasn't in a job.

I've not been in the office since I started a new job in February. It's been tough at times, but they probably get more out of me. I'm usually sat at my desk by 8 am and log off at 5:30 pm at the earliest.

If I was going into an office, Id be arriving in at 9 and away at 5 to get my daughter from the Nursery.

Works both ways, no commute so I think well I may as well just get started!
They 100% get more hours out of people.

You could use the extra time to do more work. This is the problem with working from home, going to Asda, getting a haircut, going to the gym, watching Bargain Hunt always seems to take priority

and there we go
Why the hell would I work an extra 2 hours a day unpaid?

Back