Resurgent Port of Sunderland

Where I work we don’t recycle anything as the company will have to pay to get it collected with it being classed as commercial so we put everything that I recycle at home in the bin at work.
ive started bringing stuff home that I use as I think it’s wrong but it’s a cost that the company won’t take on

That happened to me at my last charity I worked for. Loads of stuff went in the dumpster bins and I'm pretty sure it wasn't sorted and recycled at the other end. We had a recycling box in our office which we took turns (mostly me) to take home and recycle what we could.
The amount of stuff that could have been recycled that wasn't absolutely boiled my piss

That happened to me at my last charity I worked for. Loads of stuff went in the dumpster bins and I'm pretty sure it wasn't sorted and recycled at the other end. We had a recycling box in our office which we took turns (mostly me) to take home and recycle what we could.
The amount of stuff that could have been recycled that wasn't absolutely boiled my piss
Recycling should be free even if commercial

no it wasn’t. This was a conclusion jumped to by the Sunderland Echo and became a self perpetuating myth. SSTC3 is designed to make it quicker and easier to get to Sunderland City Centre f4om the A19. You will see, in fact, that the scheme no longer even extends to the Port.
For now it doesn't but other plans are in place for it to go a different route.
The only truth in it, is that the new road was designed to be very HGV friendly and it will be. Nissan have had trials in the past, that is correct. Port of Sunderland is busy with many other profitable things now, priorities change.
I've heard that there plans to ship some Nissan cars out of the port by rail, but I'm sceptical whether it's true but it has come from people who would possibly know.

Creating high-value products from low-value plastic waste sounds like a dodgy pyramid-type money making scheme but there's obviously earning potential in it somewhere.

BASF have a 20 million stake in them - they make pyrolysis oil from plastic waste and then purify it, all I can assume is that the depolymerise the the plastics into the constituent hydrocarbons which are generally pretty decent fuels . The easy bit is the breaking down of the plastics the hard bit is purifying them into a viable product after their website is pretty interesting has to be a potentially very good thing for Sunderland - if I was in the UK I might have even slung a CV in after years spent stopping polymers forming might be good to do the opposite for a bit.

We need to sort out our recycling first here. It's an absolute joke.
How it hasn't been made uniform across the country is beyond me. Why is it that I live 5 minutes away from people who can recycle yoghurt pots in their area, and yet we can't.

Putting "widely recycled" on packaging is just confusing. People are lazy and won't check which means it'll go in and then can't be recycled - risking the entire load of stuff in the wagon, or they'll just hoy it in the bin and it goes to landfill.
The only way to deal with the widely recycled stuff is to put it in the recycling bin.

It then becomes an issue for them to resolve.
We aren’t allowed to put glass in our recycling bin, how f***ing backward is that?
We can't either.

Glass ends up in friggin bags all over the garage until on of us DRIVES to the glass recycling point!

Last edited:
The only way to deal with the widely recycled stuff is to put it in the recycling bin.

It then becomes an issue for them to resolve.

It doesn't work like that. I've spoken to someone from the environmental side of the council. If they get too much of the wrong stuff in a lorry load, they bin the entire thing.
Recycling should be free even if commercial

I agree, but you'll need to pay someone to sort it

Last edited:
no it wasn’t. This was a conclusion jumped to by the Sunderland Echo and became a self perpetuating myth. SSTC3 is designed to make it quicker and easier to get to Sunderland City Centre f4om the A19. You will see, in fact, that the scheme no longer even extends to the Port.

i agree that i think its a myth that the new road is being built entirely for nissan to start using the port.

what my understanding of it was (is) from reading loads of post on here and FB etc.. especially when it was first proposed, was that it makes all the derelict land around pallion and depford, along the riverside, very attractive to developers all of a sudden. you have massive brown field sites with huge potential - the river link, close to the port, close to residential areas with 1000s of people and high unemployment, and now a fancy new dual carriageway linking it with the A19 and all the associated new utilities services etc..

which to me makes more sense than simply linking the A19 to the city centre.

Logon or register to see this image

i agree that i think its a myth that the new road is being built entirely for nissan to start using the port.

what my understanding of it was (is) from reading loads of post on here and FB etc.. especially when it was first proposed, was that it makes all the derelict land around pallion and depford, along the riverside, very attractive to developers all of a sudden. you have massive brown field sites with huge potential - the river link, close to the port, close to residential areas with 1000s of people and high unemployment, and now a fancy new dual carriageway linking it with the A19 and all the associated new utilities services etc..

which to me makes more sense than simply linking the A19 to the city centre.
correct - the ships Nissan use wouldn't even get into Sunderland

It doesn't work like that. I've spoken to someone from the environmental side of the council. If they get too much of the wrong stuff in a lorry load, they bin the entire thing.

I agree, but you'll need to pay someone to sort it
With a choice between landfill and recycling you have to choose recycling.

Then it's their problem and not hidden away at a landfill site

A big night at the City planning committee last night but we got through...

Go-ahead for £100m recycling plant that will handle 10 MILLION tyres every year

Its happening and its the biggest ever private investment into the Port of Sunderland and the first of its kind anywhere in the world.

City planners back proposal for £100m tyre recycling plant at Port of Sunderland | Port of Sunderland

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/19890557.100-jobs-sunderland-site-100m-tyre-recycling-plant/

Its happening and its the biggest ever private investment into the Port of Sunderland and the first of its kind anywhere in the world.

City planners back proposal for £100m tyre recycling plant at Port of Sunderland | Port of Sunderland

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/19890557.100-jobs-sunderland-site-100m-tyre-recycling-plant/

https://www.portofsunderland.org.uk...=LinkedIn&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=Orlo

Back