Resting heart rate

ChrisK

Winger
Measured on iphone on a app this morning and so not sure how accurate.
Still in scratcher after about 10 mins awake got a reading of 37 bpm done it again 5 mins later got 36.
Quick google and thats pretty low, any one else track there HR ?
I am 55 but fit as a fiddle and have been a regular cardio freak for about 15 years got into the rowing machine at 40 and was getting real good times even used to log them on C2 website for my age group for around 5 year solid lost a good few stone and in pretty good nick which i have kept off aswell.
Still use rower now and again but
currently do lots of walking average around 12k daily steps this year so far and goto gym 3 x per week which is usually 1 hours weights nothing serious just a few dumbbell workouts then a mile swim and sauna.

Still in scratcher after about 10 mins awake got a reading of 37 bpm done it again 5 mins later got 36.
I am 55 but fit as a fiddle and have been a regular cardio freak for about 15 years got into the rowing machine at 40 and was getting real good times even used to log them on C2 website for my age group for around 5 year solid lost a good few stone and in pretty good nick which i have kept off aswell.
currently do lots of walking average around 12k daily steps this year so far and goto gym 3 x per week which is usually 1 hours weights nothing serious just a few dumbbell workouts then a mile swim and sauna.

I’m 39 and walk regularly but don’t do any other form of exercise at the moment, for this week my resting heart rate is a average of 59-63bpm and when I sleep it ranges from 44-67bpm. If there’s any concern I’d see your gp

I’m early 30s and pretty fit, mine is between 45-50 typically throughout the day. Don’t really know what it means, but I feel well :lol:

I’m early 30s and pretty fit, mine is between 45-50 typically throughout the day. Don’t really know what it means, but I feel well :lol:
I drink a shit load of coffee so often wondered if that contributes to mine...I'm guessing probably! :oops: :eek: :lol:
A normal adult heart rate is between 60 and 100 bpm while resting. Your heart rate can change every minute and what’s ‘normal’ is different for everyone because of their age and health. Your lifestyle - such as whether you smoke, exercise and how much alcohol you drink - also affects your heart rate.

You can find your normal resting heart rate by counting the number of times your heart beats in a minute. Sitting still for 5 - 10 minutes before counting makes sure your heart is in its resting state. Knowing your normal heart rate when living with your heart condition can help you feel more confident and improve your quality of life.

Last edited:
Heart rate monitors on smart watches are not reliable on the whole. It still seems low though. You could check your own though by counting your pulse to see how accurate it is.

It’s called bradycardia, it’s a heart problem that you may want to get checked out.
Cheers for info but been checked loads of time in docs blood test the lot and got all clear plus had regular medicals for offshore for past 10 years and my heart rate and blood pressure are always questioned,as they are what would be expected in an elite athlete obviously i am not.
Not sure if it a good thing but I consider myself pretty fit for my age don't take any meds and always do regular exercise.
According to iphone i have averaged 12k steps per day this year poor dog :) swim a mile 3 x a week with a good weights session before swim finished off with sauna and steam. Eat OK but probably drink too much and definitely don't smoke.

my resting hr is between 45-50. Went to the gp this week about it but he didn’t seem that concerned after doing a few routine checks. Certainly not an athlete either

I'm 47 and at the level where I do a couple of marathons a year (got Kielder next weekend) and my average resting heart rate over the last year is 55 according to my Garmin watch.

Might as well just take your pulse.

Hold your wrist for 10 seconds and then times by 6. Just as accurate.

Fwiw, from a fitness and performance perspective, resting heart rate is only useful when considered in conjunction with your maximum heart rate. It’s the difference between these two which really counts.

Last edited:
Cheers for info but been checked loads of time in docs blood test the lot and got all clear plus had regular medicals for offshore for past 10 years and my heart rate and blood pressure are always questioned,as they are what would be expected in an elite athlete obviously i am not.
Not sure if it a good thing but I consider myself pretty fit for my age don't take any meds and always do regular exercise.
According to iphone i have averaged 12k steps per day this year poor dog :) swim a mile 3 x a week with a good weights session before swim finished off with sauna and steam. Eat OK but probably drink too much and definitely don't smoke.
Your probably in the top 5% of fitness in the UK. Not many do more than that.

Average resting beat was always quoted as 72, so the 60-100 sounds about right without being too specific.

Mine's 52 but that's drug assisted.

Time yourself to 15 seconds then multiply by 4.
🫀

Im 65 , sleeping pulse about 45. Pulse tells you a lot, ive had a bad chest for 10 days . Pulse was up by 10 beats first 3 days while i was fighting the infection . Down to 49 as im sat now and 45 overnights.
Always had a low heart rate , did a lot of high intensity interval sport as a teenager and kept pretty fit since ( with a few falls off the wagon )
Chest strap is better ( ive got a polar H10) but the decent watches , garmins etc are decent to a beat or two.
Ideally its heart rate variability thats the best cardio indicator, but its too hard to measure on personal devices

Back