Restaurants not giving waitresses tips

If it's not illegal it should be! Is that including cash tips or just the extra you add if paying by card? Would definitely put me off eating there never mind leaving a tip

Ive worked in a few different places and every where has been the same. The tips are all pooled and given to all the staff depending on the hours they've worked over the month. It's only fair at the end of the day as if it isn't for the kitchen staff then the FOH wouldn't get the tips, or if it wasnt for the cleaners and the place was filthy you wouldn't get the customers.

Same but doesn't go on our pay so it doesn't get taxed

The flippant answer would be, because it's the law and whether we like it or not we all have our tax obligations.

On a more sincere note, you could quite easily argue that the restaurant is benefitting as they get more attentive, higher performing staff without the need to incentivise them themselves. If there were no tips then the restaurant may have to pay more basic wage to attract good staff.

But there would not be a tax liability if the tip hadn’t been given, or if the staff handled it themselves via self assessment. It doesn’t matter to me any longer as I don’t have to deal with tips any more. I’m just pointing out that the system is a dreadful one, however in my opinion staff should have to handle there own tips and not put a cost or admin burden on the employer.

If I hired a member of staff on 20k then that’s what I should be responsible for not tax & ni on another 5k that has been left in tips.

Last edited:
But there would not be a tax liability if the tip hadn’t been given, or if the staff handled it themselves via self assessment. It doesn’t matter to me any longer as I don’t have to deal with tips any more. I’m just pointing out that the system is a dreadful one, however in my opinion staff should have to handle there own tips and not put a cost or admin burden on the employer.

If I hired a member of staff on 20k then that’s what I should be responsible for not tax & ni on another 5k that has been left in tips.

If there were no tips at all then you'd probably have to pay more to retain staff or risk them moving to other industries where the basic pay was higher so you could argue restaurant owners are getting a bargain as it stands.

As we said earlier though, easiest way to deal with it is let staff sort it amongst themselves and self declare.

If there were no tips at all then you'd probably have to pay more to retain staff or risk them moving to other industries where the basic pay was higher so you could argue restaurant owners are getting a bargain as it stands.

As we said earlier though, easiest way to deal with it is let staff sort it amongst themselves and self declare.

A tronc system is the easiest way, but of course most staff don’t want a tronc

Back