Restaurants not giving waitresses tips

Then they aren’t competitive sadly. Customers tip the staff, not prop up the business

Its not as simple as that. Staff only bring the food to your table. If the kitchen turn out not hot food or piss poor nosh. the waiters are not going to do well on tips. But i agree on the staff getting the tips. Often there is a facility to tip with the bill. If there is we always decline and say we will leave the tip on the table, which the waiters and waitresses will come across first, regardless of company policy.

Its not as simple as that. Staff only bring the food to your table. If the kitchen turn out not hot food or piss poor nosh. the waiters are not going to do well on tips. But i agree on the staff getting the tips. Often there is a facility to tip with the bill. If there is we always decline and say we will leave the tip on the table, which the waiters and waitresses will come across first, regardless of company policy.
I have done similar

A local Italian 'chain' that does extremely cheap happy hours... theres about 10 of them over the north east. We've told her to leave asap. One of the barman has been on 'trial' for 2 years
Sorry but that's some bullshit, good call telling her to leave. Fuck that place.

My lasses daughter works in a well known local restaurant, shes only 17, been there a few months and she just told us that none of the waitresses or bar staff get any of the tips.

Surely that's not legal is it? Apparently they told her its cos they are all on trial periods and when the trial is over they get 'wage boosters' instead.

Disgusting that, especially if people are giving the tips as cash thinking it's going direct to the staff.

If it's the place I'm thinking of, I've never been after someone posted a picture of their carbonara on the foodies group and it looked like soup.

Then they aren’t competitive sadly. Customers tip the staff, not prop up the business

Playing devils advocate for a second (as a former restaurant owner) what happens when those tips cost the restaurant money? For example if they are put through the card machine so a % is payable to the processing company and because they have been made in that Manor they need to be distributed via the payroll so attract employers NI & Tax. Is it then reasonable the employer keeps a % to cover their costs or should they lose money on the deal?

But as you have seen as this thread developed, the tips in this case are basically keeping the food cheap for the patrons and providing jobs as they do it. I don’t think it’s always as black and white as owners getting rich off staff tips on minimum wage. U.K. tipping is a mess regardless.

I was away for a sports tournament at the weekend staying at one of these hotels with the pub/restaurant type place next door. The young lass who looked after our tables was superb even if she couldn't understand Mackemesse. We tipped her directly, gave her about 40 quid. I dont know if they have rules about that but she was really sheepish and refused at first before making sure no one saw her take it 🤷‍♂️

Not always! I worked in a restaurant 30 odd years back. Customers would pay at the counter/bar, but often left the tip on the table. As soon as the manager saw them making their way to the till. he was first to the table to pocket the tip. It went in his own pocket. He was caught out in the end after we complained to senior management and they sent a couple of "mystery diners". They left a marked note. Instant dismissal!!

One of the respondees to this thread seems a little bit clued up. I think this is something he has done in the past. f***ing Tory 'it's keeping them in work, we would fold without it and THEN where would you be, eh?' Same argument was used against minimum wage.

Restaurants have different policies. Can you imagine a popular, small, independent restaurant of, say, 24 covers that employ 5 people. Imagine the food is supreme and the average tip is 12%. If the policy is that waiter/waitress keeps all tips and gets £8.50 an hour, he/she is very likely going to earn more than all other members of staff - including the chef. That cannot be right. Restaurants will have different policies dependent on many factors and a bad policy will surely lead to a poorly functioning unhappy establishment.

It gets technical, tips should be declared by the waitress/chef etc

However, most decent places where the owners/managers are no shysters then a blind eye and just get them to sign a disclaimer.
As an catering fella make sure you always ask if the server will share their tips with the kitchen team 😉

Restaurants have different policies. Can you imagine a popular, small, independent restaurant of, say, 24 covers that employ 5 people. Imagine the food is supreme and the average tip is 12%. If the policy is that waiter/waitress keeps all tips and gets £8.50 an hour, he/she is very likely going to earn more than all other members of staff - including the chef. That cannot be right. Restaurants will have different policies dependent on many factors and a bad policy will surely lead to a poorly functioning unhappy establishment.

I dont think I, or she as the waitress, was expecting a massive amount. They are on £4 odd per hour as they are all under 18, I thought she might have got £10/£15 cash at the end of the week. With a bigger lump going to the kitchen staff.

I think it's more dishonest towards the customer than the staff. Surely nobody leaves a tip thinking that its propping up the business. Why not just declare that they dont accept tips and just increase the cost of the food by 10%
One of the respondees to this thread seems a little bit clued up. I think this is something he has done in the past. f***ing Tory 'it's keeping them in work, we would fold without it and THEN where would you be, eh?' Same argument was used against minimum wage.

Exactly. They are earning under £5 per hour. If the business relies on 16 and 17 year olds to bring in tips to keep the business afloat then I think they need to look at thier business model.

Last edited:
Our lass used to have that problem at a place she used to work. People used to give big Christmas tips and they just have to smile, take it, put it in the tip box and the owner takes it all.

Then the restaurant should run a tronc, and distribute tips between front of house and back of house staff.
The whole argument about the restaurant (aka the owner) needs the tips to keep the place going (your business model's fucked if that's the case) falls on one thing: customers, the people leaving the tip, do it in the expectation that the tip is going to the wait staff, or to be shared out between them and the kitchen staff. That's custom and practice, and that's a reasonable expectation on the part of the customer.

For a local manager or an owner to pocket the lot is abusing that expectation. You need the tips to prop up your business, or you think the manager ought to be able to cream the lot off? Then tell the customers that's what's happening so they can make an informed decision on whether they want to tip or not.

Last edited:

Back