Restaurants not giving waitresses tips

tunstallhill

Striker
My lasses daughter works in a well known local restaurant, shes only 17, been there a few months and she just told us that none of the waitresses or bar staff get any of the tips.

Surely that's not legal is it? Apparently they told her its cos they are all on trial periods and when the trial is over they get 'wage boosters' instead.

Name and shame.

Like Chunky says even if it’s legal, it’s a cûnts trick and they deserve to be called out.

Maybe for a chain. But a local independent place might bank on those tips to balance the books. Naming and shaming a place like that would trash it in absence of all the facts.

Goes on in other places. I know at least one big chain where the tips go to the manager

Cant believe that like. Think I might start checking from now on when leaving tips that they actually go to the waitress. I'm astounded that any of these places have any staff left. I couldn't look them in the eye knowing I'd taken thier tips

Daughter was working in a local place and was getting shit money and no tips.

Did it cos local and easy for her

Owners banked all tips.. used for paying wages

Place has been bought by someone else who have another place and they couldn't believe how it was run.

She didn't Sunday night week or two ago and earnt £30 in tips which was as much as her wages

A local Italian 'chain' that does extremely cheap happy hours... theres about 10 of them over the north east. We've told her to leave asap. One of the barman has been on 'trial' for 2 years

Hmmm...it’s clear who you are talking about. With that business model I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if the fiver or tenner tip on the table is the difference between a profit and no profit, their prices are ridiculously low and they obviously use terrible meat.

Cant believe that like. Think I might start checking from now on when leaving tips that they actually go to the waitress. I'm astounded that any of these places have any staff left. I couldn't look them in the eye knowing I'd taken thier tips

I felt the same when the lass told me, but the UK is weird with our selective tipping.

Hmmm...it’s clear who you are talking about. With that business model I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if the fiver or tenner tip on the table is the difference between a profit and no profit, their prices are ridiculously low and they obviously use terrible meat.

If it was common knowledge, would customers leave tips though?

At the moment i feel like trashing them. That's why I came on here for some grounded advice ;)

Well, I think it’s obvious who you are referring to....

If they haven’t mislead her I don’t think they have done anything wrong to be honest. 5 quid for three courses isn’t going to be a gravy train for anyone involved, including the owners who have probably had to take a lot of risk to get the scale to make it worthwhile. Or they are washing dirty money, which I have also heard mentioned.
I always used to check. I thought it was now normal to go to staff

But I’ll start checking again

Devils advocate. The tips going to the owner might be the difference between a place staying open or closing, must be a few hundred a week at a place that isn’t dead. If the tips stop, then nobody has a job.

Last edited:
My lasses daughter works in a well known local restaurant, shes only 17, been there a few months and she just told us that none of the waitresses or bar staff get any of the tips.

Surely that's not legal is it? Apparently they told her its cos they are all on trial periods and when the trial is over they get 'wage boosters' instead.
Sounds wrong to me....

Back