Restaurant Etiquette

• Thread starter Deleted member 30053
  • Start date
With small stuff and I do class a slightly overdone steak as small stuff, I'll just eat it and put the place to the bottom of the list for a return visit.

Bigger stuff like cold food or raw chicken would go straight back.

Marco Pierre White in Newcastle is the worst restaurant I've been to, it was like faulty towers.
We waited 2 hours for food, only to be told that half of the tables order was stuff they'd ran out of.
Ended up ordering 6 burgers which turned up with cold chips. Sent Back
6 Burgers came back with raw chips, Sent Back
We ended up with all of the drinks being free and paying £50 of a would be £250 bill.
The manageress ended up sitting down at our table and crying as the whole service in the place had gone to shite.

Then sitting at work a couple of weeks later I get a knock on the door. Lad standing there introduced himself as the
corporate manager of Marco Pierre White and wanted to get us to book tables for business meeting etc.
Well he got both barrels. Told him that his chefs weren't good enough for McDonald's and regaled the tale.
He just sort of shuffled and looked at his feet and mumbled something about a change of staff.

And the entire office stood up and applauded.

Eat it, compliment it but say it was well done rather than rare. Laugh off any apologies and say it's fine, they were terribly busy etc. You'll probably end up with a discount for being reasonable.

Had a steak at our local with the deal and it was like eating old beaten leather even though I had asked for medium rare. As it’s my local and they were busy and I was using the deal I told them it was lovely. Wrapped most of it in napkins and took it home for the dogs.

going back tonight but won’t be having the steak.

Depends on how expensive the restaurant is tbh. I've packed in eating steak out now as the mark up is stupid. I'd probably eat it and say it was way overdone but not worth sending it back unless it was a really nice bit of steak they'd ruined.

I'd send it back if it was that far over, especially if it was a place where I was a regular. I normally order rare, so at worst, I should get a medium rare. Anything further than that and back it goes. Kitchens screw up, like everyone, but they need to know it's happened. If you're a regular, the waiting staff will know you, and they'll know you won't send something back to pull a fast one or take the piss. I know a few chefs and, believe me, they want to know when they've screwed up (or, more likely if one of their staff has screwed up).

With small stuff and I do class a slightly overdone steak as small stuff, I'll just eat it and put the place to the bottom of the list for a return visit.

Bigger stuff like cold food or raw chicken would go straight back.

Marco Pierre White in Newcastle is the worst restaurant I've been to, it was like faulty towers.
We waited 2 hours for food, only to be told that half of the tables order was stuff they'd ran out of.
Ended up ordering 6 burgers which turned up with cold chips. Sent Back
6 Burgers came back with raw chips, Sent Back
We ended up with all of the drinks being free and paying £50 of a would be £250 bill.
The manageress ended up sitting down at our table and crying as the whole service in the place had gone to shite.

Then sitting at work a couple of weeks later I get a knock on the door. Lad standing there introduced himself as the
corporate manager of Marco Pierre White and wanted to get us to book tables for business meeting etc.
Well he got both barrels. Told him that his chefs weren't good enough for McDonald's and regaled the tale.
He just sort of shuffled and looked at his feet and mumbled something about a change of staff.
Rare to well done is not slightly

otherwise, a hilarious post

Eat it then complain
Our lass had someone the other day order a breakfast and his missus a fish and chips, served it and the bloke ate half the breakfast. Then asked to send it back and change for fish and chips as he didn’t fancy it anymore. 😂

She couldn’t be arsed so changed it.

Some people just have no shame.

You go to a restaurant where you are considered a regular and you ask for a rare steak and it comes out well done. Massively busy night for the place. Took over an hour for the bait to arrive as well but you can tell they are stowed off and all the staff are being champion. Do you send the steak back - cos you go in all the time and it’s not cooked to order - or do you eat it and say it was nice? I took option B cos I was hungry and couldn’t be arsed with the carry on. Or are you an option A? And if so for what reason? One of my mates would 100% be a kernt and demand his 20 bar back or make them re-do it.
I'd send it back regardless of how often I went or how busy they are.

I like my steak rare. Medium rare or medium is forgivable, well done is an abomination.

I wouldn't be a knob about it.
Eat it, compliment it but say it was well done rather than rare. Laugh off any apologies and say it's fine, they were terribly busy etc. You'll probably end up with a discount for being reasonable.
If they are busy they should have saved some time and just seared the fucker. :)

Last edited:
Our lass had someone the other day order a breakfast and his missus a fish and chips, served it and the bloke ate half the breakfast. Then asked to send it back and change for fish and chips as he didn’t fancy it anymore. 😂

She couldn’t be arsed so changed it.

Some people just have no shame.

You’ve done that to the poor lass

Nervous around men

I had something similar to this happen on Valentine’s Day. It’s often difficult for a restaurant that functions well on a particular number of customers to ramp up and still function as well.

I started making my own Valentine’s Dinmers so as not to be out at peak times. We go out off-peak (i .e. not Valentine’s Day and not currently with money off schemes) instead when it is quieter.

The advantage of eating at home is that you can cook the steak to your perfect liking, you can get amazing wine much cheaper and you can have sex on the table afterwards! I haven’t been to a restaurant that offers all of those together.

You go to a restaurant where you are considered a regular and you ask for a rare steak and it comes out well done. Massively busy night for the place. Took over an hour for the bait to arrive as well but you can tell they are stowed off and all the staff are being champion. Do you send the steak back - cos you go in all the time and it’s not cooked to order - or do you eat it and say it was nice? I took option B cos I was hungry and couldn’t be arsed with the carry on. Or are you an option A? And if so for what reason? One of my mates would 100% be a kernt and demand his 20 bar back or make them re-do it.
All in

Send it back . It's a simple matter to get a steak right.
Or maybe I would have eaten it to prevent delay for my companions but wouldn't expect to pay for it.
I would have done it nicely though .
Ah, you’re one of those that eats their meal and then complains afterwards.

Should be put into camps.

I have my steaks blue to rare so if it came out medium I would have eaten it and mentioned something when they took the plate away saying it was over done for my liking.
For it to come out well done I would have sent it back as I just don't like well done steaks so I wouldn't want to eat it.

Ah, you’re one of those that eats their meal and then complains afterwards.

Should be put into camps.
No, I would advise the waitress on the spot but agree to eat it to save delay to the party , but would expect comped.
As for camps do they have steak there ?

Back