Restaurant Etiquette

• Thread starter Deleted member 30053
  • Start date
Last time I ordered steak it was overdone like. I just ate it cos I'm soft as clarts. Can't remember where it was I got it now either.

as long as it was piping hot i'd just eat it, especially after an hour.
in all seriousness I would probably tell the waiter/ress straight away that it was cooked incorrectly and that you had to wait an hour and let them decide the best course of action. maybe a bit off the bill or take it back but your'e talking another 15/20 minutes wait

I Generally go out for the company not the food .I could probably pick away at most meals dining out but i just eat and generally enjoy.On family occasions my brother seems to find fault with everything due to the fact he normally pays peanuts in crap places and it kills him to spend any more .Errors or poor service i tend to let go once then if more stuff happens i chirp up .
100% this. Apart from the picky brother. My mate's ex wife, however, was a total nightmare. Stopped going out with them because it was too much of a drama.

You go to a restaurant where you are considered a regular and you ask for a rare steak and it comes out well done. Massively busy night for the place. Took over an hour for the bait to arrive as well but you can tell they are stowed off and all the staff are being champion. Do you send the steak back - cos you go in all the time and it’s not cooked to order - or do you eat it and say it was nice? I took option B cos I was hungry and couldn’t be arsed with the carry on. Or are you an option A? And if so for what reason? One of my mates would 100% be a kernt and demand his 20 bar back or make them re-do it.
Send it back. Always. Don't have to be an arsehole about it, but it's not what you paid/are paying for.
Busy or not, a restaurant should be able to keep it's standards up to scratch. My argument in that situation (where a restaurant claims they are struggling because it's busy) is that they shouldn't accept so many orders/reservations/walk-ins if they can't cope with demand. Again, don't have to be an arse about it

Send it back. Always. Don't have to be an arsehole about it, but it's not what you paid/are paying for.
Busy or not, a restaurant should be able to keep it's standards up to scratch. My argument in that situation (where a restaurant claims they are struggling because it's busy) is that they shouldn't accept so many orders/reservations/walk-ins if they can't cope with demand. Again, don't have to be an arse about it

This.

Trouble Is that some folk can’t complain without causing a scene .

Politely send it back without being an arsehole.

I work as a chef sometimes, and I'd far rather someone sent their steak back to have it how they'd want than have someone eat it and not enjoy it, especially if it's my mistake - however busy we might be.
Having worked in/around kitchens, I always think there's a fair chance the poor fucker behind that door is under a shit ton of pressure from a dickhead manager and might just blow his top at any second.

100% this. Apart from the picky brother. My mate's ex wife, however, was a total nightmare. Stopped going out with them because it was too much of a drama.
Got mukkered in New York and sent a bottle of wine back in delmonicos saying it was corked. Nowt to do with all the beer and margarita I'd consumed. Was mortified when reminded the next day.

This.

Trouble Is that some folk can’t complain without causing a scene .
Aye,i went to a relatives wedding and my brother stopped in the same hotel as me .We both have canny jobs where you have to communicate on many levels and he trains people
Checking out something went wrong with his bill and he went full on John Mc Enroe to the point the guy (who was a bit useless) just walked away from him .Handled differently he would have got the result he wanted

Getting a well done steak instead of rare means the order is wrong, no chef can mess up that badly, send it back or at least tell the staff member when they check back to get it discounted if you don't mind eating it.
If you send a steak back because for example you ordered medium rare and you think it is medium, that will piss off a chef and will get special sauce.
Love special sauce me like.

Back