Resealing upstairs shower.

That's why I'm going to regrout and silicone. In my original post I've seen that the grout I have linked in seem to be the best grout. But previously its been the silicone 3 times. Previously I've taken the plastic form off from round the tray and looked where the water comes down and it's been when I've aimed the shower at the join between the silicone, tray and tiles. I'll still regrout as then I can also rule out what you mentioned.
If the gap is pretty big, try and fill it first then seal it.

Is it best to pack the waterproof grout down into the gap the silicone... or pack silicone down and the silicone over the top?
I couldn’t say for sure, I’d probably use something more solid depending on the size of the gap, with silicone over the top.

Silicone over silicone probably wouldn’t seal great. Silicone over grout has chance to crack again.

It might be lateral movement which is causing the silicone to break.

Sounds like a pipe leak
It doesn't. It sounds like water is getting past the tiles and,/or silicone .
Hi oh wise SMB....

My shower tray/surround is letting water through down into my kitchen. I'll need to reseal it and re-grout the tiles. The company who installed the shower keep coming back (3rd time) to reseal it and then it fails again. I think they like charging me a callout.

Anyway, I'm looking for advice on best products to redo the job myself. I've done some research and Kerakoll Fugalite Bio Epoxy Grout White 01 3kg is recommended for grout. Is it worth it/easy to use?

What is the best silicone sealant as the water is running down the tiles and past the silicone?

Thank you for any help. (Lion shit didn't work.)
Is the tray flat on the floor mate, or is it in a riser kit/ plinth?

Last edited:
The grouting is knackered. Needs clearing out and redone properly. There are a couple of gaps easily seen on that photo.
Yup it's the first thing I'm going to do. There isn't going to be any harm in re-grouting... its a pretty srtaight forward job. My main query was what is the best silicon to use.... and is it best to silicone or grout the gap between shower and tile and then silicone over the top?

Your tiles have failed mate100%
Water is getting behind the tiles. You may be lucky and get away with removing the grout and redoing, but I reckon that tile will be loose. When water gets behind the tile, it creates fungus, which eats away at the tile adhesive .
Sounds like a ball ache to sort. I'm guessing there is no real test to see if this has happened apart from trying to remove the tile. Or will it become obvious if it's shifting once I've scraped out the grout?

Last edited:
Sounds like a ball ache to sort.
That tile deffo looks loose mind. Even the silicone looks shot at the bottom of it. Do you have any spare tiles?
Sounds like a ball ache to sort. I'm guessing there is no real test to see if this has happened apart from trying to remove the tile. Or will it become obvious if it's shifting once I've scraped out the grout?
It will be obvious mate. Press hard on the tile now, if it moves or the grout moves, you'll have your answer. Tap on the tile aswell. If it sounds hollow, it'll mean the tiles have been dabbed on, or not on a full bed of adhesive.

Last edited:
That tile deffo looks loose mind. Even the silicone looks shot at the bottom of it. Do you have any spare tiles?

It will be obvious mate. Press hard on the tile now, if it moves or the grout moves, you'll have your answer. Tap on the tile aswell. If it sounds hollow, it'll mean the tiles have been dabbed on, or not on a full bed of adhesive.
Yes I've a couple left.
Tile dosent move when I push it... ive pushed it in different parts. Top half sounds solid... bottom half sounds more hollow but its on the stud wall so sound more like banging on a tile with a void behind it... not hollow between the tile and wall (if that makes sense)

Last edited:
Yes I've a couple left.
Tile dosent move when I push it... ive pushed it in different parts. Top half sounds solid... bottom half sounds more hollow but its on the stud wall so sound more like banging on a tile with a void behind it... not hollow between the tile and wall (if that makes sense)
You may well be lucky then mate and a regroup may work. Rake as much out as you can, preferably with a Dremel type machine.
Expoxy grout is notorious to apply, if you don't know what your doing it will dry on you and you won't be able to remove the excess. Any good brand grout will do the job, Bal, or Mapei being good, amongst others. Remove ALL the silicone aswell. Go to Screwfix and buy the silicone remover paste. Works well, follow the instructions, piece of piss. Then use a good quality silicone, Dow Corning 985, or even CT1, it's expensive but it even sticks underwater, amazing stuff.
If the tray is raised , take off the plinth and with a torch see where it's leaking when the shower is on.

You may well be lucky then mate and a regroup may work. Rake as much out as you can, preferably with a Dremel type machine.
Expoxy grout is notorious to apply, if you don't know what your doing it will dry on you and you won't be able to remove the excess. Any good brand grout will do the job, Bal, or Mapei being good, amongst others. Remove ALL the silicone aswell. Go to Screwfix and buy the silicone remover paste. Works well, follow the instructions, piece of piss. Then use a good quality silicone, Dow Corning 985, or even CT1, it's expensive but it even sticks underwater, amazing stuff.
If the tray is raised , take off the plinth and with a torch see where it's leaking when the shower is on.
Thank you seems a conclusive guide... I'll take my time to sort it out. Cheers.

Back