Rescuers question what3words' use in emergencies

We use it at work but it’s hard as fuck for people down south understanding my broad Durham accent especially outside in a windy or loud environment

We’ve just started using it for deliveries at work, couriers always saying they can’t find sites etc

No doubt that it has its uses - a pub near near me has started using it for deliveries of food and drink to people sitting in a nearby park - but I'm not convinced of the system being robust enough for matters of life and death.

Seems a lot easier to use a map reference than spelling out 15-20 letters using the phonetic alphabet plus dots. If you can ascertain the 3m square you're located in, you can ascertain the decimal degrees GPS reference. Numbers are much less ambiguous in any accent. Coordinates also have the benefit of numerical meaning and relation to each other. 54.9182 -1.3829 (the SoL) is very close to 54.9160,-1.3859 (The Colliery Tavern).

The thing is designed for speech recognition and I've never ever come across speech recognition that is able to correctly identify more than about 75% of words, especially with an accent. They're usually good with numbers though... like DD coordinates.

Whereas stupid.zany.system and pointless.hipster.bollocks may be very close, or may be on the other side of the world.

Its aim is simplicity and memorability and it completely fails. An app that uses geolocation to tell you a GPS reference would be just as easy and far more reliable.
Speech recognition didn’t work in Essex the night I was driving and got the round in. I asked for 3 pints and a Coke. But in my accent it was more “Coh-oke” (like crow). The lass didn’t understand me and after 3 goes I gave up and asked for a Pepsi.

“Ahhhh” she says “you mean cowke”

Speech recognition didn’t work in Essex the night I was driving and got the round in. I asked for 3 pints and a Coke. But in my accent it was more “Coh-oke” (like crow). The lass didn’t understand me and after 3 goes I gave up and asked for a Pepsi.

“Ahhhh” she says “you mean cowke”

We've had that before at South Mimms services! Went all round France and managed to get by with basic French then struggled buying a glass of pop on the way home 😂

Back