Replacing my conservatory roof

I bought the Kingspan from local builders merchant. I didn't fill any gaps with expanding foam (Horrible stuff). Left a small air gap between top of Kingspan and plastic roof. Bought the shiplap online from Angel plastics. They had all the end pieces and fittings so that it tied in nicely with the house wall. I decided against plasterboard purely on grounds of weight. It was a quite large area and didn't want too much hanging off it. The battens I put up were heavy enough. I think I took photos during the install I'll see if I can find them.
Battens in place

Celotex cut to size and held in place with a piece of wood until I fixed shiplap cladding.

Last edited:
Expensive you gilly lad
You want the best you’ve got to pay for it .

Either way get that bastard conservatory down people ,awful things that actually put people off buying your house .(unless your 70 or over )

Take it from someone who knars.
I bought the Kingspan from local builders merchant. I didn't fill any gaps with expanding foam (Horrible stuff). Left a small air gap between top of Kingspan and plastic roof. Bought the shiplap online from Angel plastics. They had all the end pieces and fittings so that it tied in nicely with the house wall. I decided against plasterboard purely on grounds of weight. It was a quite large area and didn't want too much hanging off it. The battens I put up were heavy enough. I think I took photos during the install I'll see if I can find them.
Battens in place

Celotex cut to size and held in place with a piece of wood until I fixed shiplap cladding.

You’ve got a conservatory and a trampoline in the garden ,you will be getting a hot tub next Mate ;)

Last edited:
You want the best you’ve got to pay for it .

Either way get that bastard conservatory down people ,awful things that actually put people off buying your house .(unless your 70 or over )

Take it from someone who knars.

You’ve got a conservatory and a trampoline in the garden ,you will be getting a hot tub next Mate ;)
It's in a let property and the tenants have replaced trampoline with a hot tub as their kids are older now

Battens in place

do you have to have a air gap between top of kingspan and roof ? and i see you used insulating foil tape for the joints ..it looks 50 x 50 batterns i didnt realise kingspan was that thick ? or is that to allow a gap between kingspan and roof ? sorry for all the questions 😀

do you have to have a air gap between top of kingspan and roof ? and i see you used insulating foil tape for the joints ..it looks 50 x 50 batterns i didnt realise kingspan was that thick ? or is that to allow a gap between kingspan and roof ? sorry for all the questions 😀

See below for cold roof / warm roof differences. Very important to avoid condensation.

Also Kingspan is good tackle but expensive - you can buy cheaper - make sure it has the same thermal resistance. Try Celotex or merchants own brand.

See below for cold roof / warm roof differences. Very important to avoid condensation.

Also Kingspan is good tackle but expensive - you can buy cheaper - make sure it has the same thermal resistance. Try Celotex or merchants own brand.

is celotex as good ?and how much would i save per 8x4 sheet?

It’s the performance that matters - the thermal conductivity of the material - measured as K Value or Lambda.
It’s an indication of the rate of the passage of heat through something.
If it’s the same k value ( using a same thickness comparison ) then it will do the same job.

Have a chat with the local builders merchant - any saving - without compromising performance - is worth having.

Take a look at this - note the comments re vapour barrier - its critically important.

Last edited:
It’s the performance that matters - the thermal conductivity of the material - measured as K Value or Lambda.
It’s an indication of the rate of the passage of heat through something.
If it’s the same k value ( using a same thickness comparison ) then it will do the same job.

Have a chat with the local builders merchant - any saving - without compromising performance - is worth having.

Take a look at this - note the comments re vapour barrier - its critically important.

It probably doesn’t matter on a conservatory, but I think foam insulation might end up banned within a few year.

Grenfell tower was covered in the stuff. A lot of developers and insurance companies won’t accept it at all on new builds.

It probably doesn’t matter on a conservatory, but I think foam insulation might end up banned within a few year.

Grenfell tower was covered in the stuff. A lot of developers and insurance companies won’t accept it at all on new builds.

Good point - the Kingspan is protected by the plasterboard ceiling which will give the necessary fire protection before the foam is exposed to flame .

Effectively enough time to egress the building.

The Grenfell foam was directly exposed to flame from the window - which wasn’t surrounded by fire stops.

On that note - and off topic - the order to stay put is going to be a key factor in the conclusions. These buildings are designed for detection and egress.

Anyway - on topic - see below

What do you use for filling the gaps between the kingspan boards ? foam would be too messy as mentioned earlier, could i stuff loft insulation in small gaps then 50mm foil over the joints or would the insulation eventually get damp ? or do small gaps between boards e.g 2/3 mm not matter as long as you tape over the joint with insulating foil tape ?

What do you use for filling the gaps between the kingspan boards ? foam would be too messy as mentioned earlier, could i stuff loft insulation in small gaps then 50mm foil over the joints or would the insulation eventually get damp ? or do small gaps between boards e.g 2/3 mm not matter as long as you tape over the joint with insulating foil tape ?

The Kingspan boards are easily cut and should be butt jointed - there shouldn’t be hardly any gap . Just tape them over both upper and lower boards for a good thermal seal.
The roof finish protects the boards from rain - equally important is protecting them from condensation (heat / water vapour from the warm room below). - hence the importance of a vapour barrier. The boards are usually foil backed which provides the vapour barrier.

Last edited:
Good point - the Kingspan is protected by the plasterboard ceiling which will give the necessary fire protection before the foam is exposed to flame .

Effectively enough time to egress the building.

The Grenfell foam was directly exposed to flame from the window - which wasn’t surrounded by fire stops.

On that note - and off topic - the order to stay put is going to be a key factor in the conclusions. These buildings are designed for detection and egress.

Anyway - on topic - see below

Yeah good point re the plasterboard. It’s probably ok to use in traditional brick and block construction too. I just think while there’s a chance it could be used where it shouldn’t be, eventually stricter rules will come in.

I work for a company involved with large scale residential and warehousing developments and the fall out from Grenfell has caused some big headaches the last couple of year.

I've done a similar job on a 7m x 4m conservatory. Used solid insulation rather than blankets (Celotex or Kingspan) and lined it with plastic shiplap as in that video. Cost me about £600 and 2 weekends. I'd been quoted £6k for one of the light weight plastic tiled look roofs.

Conservatory now a liveable space.

That plastic shiplap doesn’t fire protect the Kingspan mate and you need to check its spread of flame properties.

Logon or register to see this image
This is what we did

Logon or register to see this image
Oof...
Where to start????

The water butt is overflowing - a sign that the water isn’t draining from your roof and there is likely to be subsidence due to a lack of drainage.

The DPC near the back doors is too close to the patio - you need to check for rising damp.

The conifer in the corner needs to be properly removed by an experts or the roots will destroy the foundations - at least 5k for an expert to do it properly.

Oof...
Where to start????

The water butt is overflowing - a sign that the water isn’t draining from your roof and there is likely to be subsidence due to a lack of drainage.

The DPC near the back doors is too close to the patio - you need to check for rising damp.

The conifer in the corner needs to be properly removed by an experts or the roots will destroy the foundations - at least 5k for an expert to do it properly.

More importantly the bird feeder is empty.

Scandalous.

Seriously though ,that dpc is an issue.
Yeah good point re the plasterboard. It’s probably ok to use in traditional brick and block construction too. I just think while there’s a chance it could be used where it shouldn’t be, eventually stricter rules will come in.

I work for a company involved with large scale residential and warehousing developments and the fall out from Grenfell has caused some big headaches the last couple of year.

I designed a new build thatched house a few years back - the trick is to protect the problem ie the thatch.

The thatch has to be fire treated and regularly inspected and the chimney had to have spark resistors.

There’s going to be a lot of changes when Grenfell all comes out . My thoughts are around non use of fire stopping around openings and at every floor and party wall junction.
Also , as mentioned the fire brigades instruction to stay put - truly bizarre.

We’ll see.

Last edited:
Oof...
Where to start????

The “conifer” isn’t a tree it’s a hard wood board washed up from seaton beach.
There’s a membrane between patio and wall
Water butt is full ( not surprisingly) and dribbling
Thanks though

Yes I used foil tape to seal gap between insulation and battens. The Celotex comes in different thicknesses so adjusted to suit battens. I think I used 75x50 battens and 50mm Celotex. That ensured a nice air gap between back of celotex and plastic roof.

Keep up the questions, the more you ask the easier the job will be when you start.

Back