Replacing my conservatory roof

harmy

Striker
Anyone did this recently and replaced their old conservatory roof with a lightweight tiled roof?

If so how much was it?

And what company did you use?

i got a quote for 2800 quid incluing VAT last week. Standard sized, what they call victorian shape

Premier roof systems in Jarrow

Last edited:
You could be throwing good money after bad here. Conservatory’s are not really habitable rooms - the heat loss is enormous ( that’s why you are replacing the roof I guess). They should be separated from the main dwelling by a thermal break ( ie double glazed doors). You ll still loose heat through the large glazed areas.

A lot of people are simply flopping them and building a garden room with cavity walls and less glazing - a fully insulated tiled roof as well. These are deemed habitable and don’t need thermal breaks.
It will add good value as well.

Food for thought mate.

You could be throwing good money after bad here. Conservatory’s are not really habitable rooms - the heat loss is enormous ( that’s why you are replacing the roof I guess). They should be separated from the main dwelling by a thermal break ( ie double glazed doors). You ll still loose heat through the large glazed areas.

A lot of people are simply flopping them and building a garden room with cavity walls and less glazing - a fully insulated tiled roof as well. These are deemed habitable and don’t need thermal breaks.

Food for thought mate.
i think this is the way we're gonna go. Want to make it a touch wider and square off far wall. Means digging up the pad the conservatory sits on as the foundations need to be deeper - 2.1m if there's conifers close

i think this is the way we're gonna go. Want to make it a touch wider and square off far wall. Means digging up the pad the conservatory sits on as the foundations need to be deeper - 2.1m if there's conifers close

You ll need building regulation approval pal - you might not need planning permission - max 3m out from a semi or 4m if detached.

Min 15 deg pitch for tiled roof ( check tile spec)- min 15 deg pitch if fitting velux. Watch the pitch doesn’t crash the upstairs windows - 150mm flashing and cavity tray at roof / existing wall abutment.
Look at me look at me

I was just offering the chap some advice mate - that’s all .

Last edited:
You ll need building regulation approval pal - you might not need planning permission - max 3m out from a semi or 4m if detached.

Min 15 deg pitch for tiled roof ( check tile spec)- min 15 deg pitch if fitting velux. Watch the pitch doesn’t crash the upstairs windows - 150mm flashing and cavity tray at roof / existing wall abutment.

I was just offering the chap some advice mate - that’s all .
kind of price would you say? Knock the conservatory down, dig deeper founds, erect the new building, say 4m by 4m, velux in, brick wall one side, brick with a window on the end and bi-folds on the other side?

kind of price would you say? Knock the conservatory down, dig deeper founds, erect the new building, say 4m by 4m, velux in, brick wall one side, brick with a window on the end and bi-folds on the other side?

Not my field but allow £100 per square foot - £17500 .Only way for true price is to get some quotes .

I'm gonna have a crack at doing this
I'm gonna wait until next year now though as I'm f***ing sick of f***ing on in the house now.

Logon or register to see this image
This is what we did

Food for thought mate.

Logon or register to see this image

Anyone did this recently and replaced their old conservatory roof with a lightweight tiled roof?

If so how much was it?

It'll be a few grand for whoever you go with, but I'm sure it'll be worth it when it's done.
Our new house has a conservatory. Never had one before but the temperature difference is really noticeable. We have blinds down on the roof but it doesn't keep a lot of heat in. It was also pretty baking in the summer - not that you'd complain about that necessarily. Something for us to save up for too no doubt.

If so how much was it?

Pull it down ,chucking good money after bad.for old gannies

Food for thought mate.
This

Give us shout if you rebuild pal - I m an architect.

I'm gonna have a crack at doing this
I'm gonna wait until next year now though as I'm f***ing sick of f***ing on in the house now.
I've done a similar job on a 7m x 4m conservatory. Used solid insulation rather than blankets (Celotex or Kingspan) and lined it with plastic shiplap as in that video. Cost me about £600 and 2 weekends. I'd been quoted £6k for one of the light weight plastic tiled look roofs.

Conservatory now a liveable space.

I've done a similar job on a 7m x 4m conservatory. Used solid insulation rather than blankets (Celotex or Kingspan) and lined it with plastic shiplap as in that video. Cost me about £600 and 2 weekends. I'd been quoted £6k for one of the light weight plastic tiled look roofs.

Conservatory now a liveable space.
Thinking of doing this but a few questions ,wheres the best place to buy the Kingspan ? and did you fill the gaps in with expanding foam then dress flush when its gone off before putting shiplap on?
would the shiplap insulate better than plasterboard ?

Back