Replacing my conservatory roof

would normal matt black paint take ok to the plastic roof ? I'm worried about it flaking off after a few months ? would gloss be better ?
also when i screw the 2x2 into the roof spans i take it their will be some sort of 2mm steel profile that i will be tapping into dont fancy it hanging by srews into the plastic only

Last edited:
would normal matt black paint take ok to the plastic roof ? I'm worried about it flaking off after a few months ? would gloss be better ?
also when i screw the 2x2 into the roof spans i take it their will be some sort of 2mm steel profile that i will be tapping into dont fancy it hanging by srews into the plastic only

You ve more chance with Matt black than gloss but if it does peel then you have no access to it. Will the Kingspan taken a coat of Matt black ? You could do a test piece.

Or you could spray it on the Kingspan.

Not sure if there’s metal behind the pvc coating - it might be all pvc - you ll need decent self tappers- drill two holes of different diameter in the batten ( but in the same hole) the first wider diameter hole 25 mm deep takes the tapper and its wider head stops against the second smaller diameter hole ( which takes the shaft of the tapper).

If the tapper shaft is well bedded then the batten can’t fall as the tapper head is stopping it.
Need a quote not a number, prefer a Sunderland accent mind😉😂

Can’t guarantee the accent mate - happy to quote but need to know what you’re intending to do 🏘

Last edited:
You could be throwing good money after bad here. Conservatory’s are not really habitable rooms - the heat loss is enormous ( that’s why you are replacing the roof I guess). They should be separated from the main dwelling by a thermal break ( ie double glazed doors). You ll still loose heat through the large glazed areas.

A lot of people are simply flopping them and building a garden room with cavity walls and less glazing - a fully insulated tiled roof as well. These are deemed habitable and don’t need thermal breaks.
It will add good value as well.

Food for thought mate.

What he said ^

The conservatory roof leges will be metal mate. Use self tapper screws but come i little bit either side of the centre. If you go bang on centre of the leg there’s a good chance the metal is about 3 inches thick and you’ll never get a screw in it.
Come about 5 - 10 mm off centre.

Also , for the outside. Why not do a similar job as the inside but use the supalite metal tiles?
Bit more work and cost but it’s gona look like a £10k roof rather that painted polly carb, which isn’t great to be fair.

Just rang 5 local builers merchants and none stock kingspan or celotex 50mm 8x4 ,
3 of them stock extratherm for around £26.50 a sheet and they say its the same 'u' rating as kingspan also recticell and ballytherm named but how do i know they are not cheap knock offs and lower 'u' rating? id rather pay more and get thd good stuff but nowhere seems to stock it ?
Just ringing around for stuff
Am i right in thinking the 2x2 does not have to be pressure treated i know its not exposed to the elements etc its just damp and condensation thats got me thinking

Last edited:
Just rang 5 local builers merchants and none stock kingspan or celotex 50mm 8x4 ,
3 of them stock extratherm for around £26.50 a sheet and they say its the same 'u' rating as kingspan also recticell and ballytherm named but how do i know they are not cheap knock offs and lower 'u' rating? id rather pay more and get thd good stuff but nowhere seems to stock it ?
Am i right in thinking the 2x2 does not have to be pressure treated i know its not exposed to the elements etc its just damp and condensation thats got me thinking
Recticel is okay mate, we’ve used it loads.

If you need a quote for extension plans PM me.

I can guarantee a Sunderland accent as well.

Right ! It’s Plan Wars !

I m potentially being excluded because of my birthplace - this is neither diverse or inclusive- I shall report this action to the Minister for Women and Equalities ( which on reflection excludes me )

Right ! It’s Plan Wars !

I m potentially being excluded because of my birthplace - this is neither diverse or inclusive- I shall report this action to the Minister for Women and Equalities ( which on reflection excludes me )
Where are you based mate?

The measure is the k value performance. Given that you aren’t hitting an energy target here I wouldn’t worry about it . It’s an improvement.

The internal timber doesn’t need to be pressure treated.
Where are you based mate?

Preston mate - I was just trying to help the lad out but it’s better for someone local . I m assuming your an architect by profession pal ?

Last edited:
I thought so, but I also thought you might have relocated up here.

So I'm not really stepping on your toes then ;)

Draughtsman mate.

You architects have got bigger fish to fry than daft house extensions!

You wouldn’t have been stepping on my toes mate - don’t even think about it . Like I say I was just trying to help the guy - I won’t see anyone stuck.

Not suggesting you need anything pal but I ve got templates and specifications you can have if it helps you business- all on CAD - message me if you want them - they’re yours on me.

All the best.

You wouldn’t have been stepping on my toes mate - don’t even think about it . Like I say I was just trying to help the guy - I won’t see anyone stuck.

Not suggesting you need anything pal but I ve got templates and specifications you can have if it helps you business- all on CAD - message me if you want them - they’re yours on me.

All the best.
Nice one, cheers.

That may go some way towards compensating us for allowing SAFC to poach Simon Grayson. :lol:

Nice one, cheers.

That may go some way towards compensating us for allowing SAFC to poach Simon Grayson. :lol:

Grayson is still well regarded here - the football was dire but effective- in all honesty he’d taken as far as he could. Nice chap though.

Message if you need owt pal .

Back