Replacing a garage roof

£250 too much I think mate. Tbh at the minute you will be lucky to find a roofer to do it so maybe best off sticking with them. I’ve priced a 7 x 2.5m kitchen today no boards to replace though for £950. But I’m chokka.

Wasn't looking to get it done atm mate, bit skint, got them over to see if they could repair it but they said they couldn't so got a price to replace for when I do go ahead with it. Got some bitumen paint I'm going to hoy on and hope it holds up for a few months at least. But will need done before the winter I reckon. Is rubber EPDM the way to go?

Wasn't looking to get it done atm mate, bit skint, got them over to see if they could repair it but they said they couldn't so got a price to replace for when I do go ahead with it. Got some bitumen paint I'm going to hoy on and hope it holds up for a few months at least. But will need done before the winter I reckon. Is rubber EPDM the way to go?
It seems to becoming more popular. Tbh honest felt layed properly is fine. It’s all about the type of felt. You must insist on a sbs felt and two layers of underlay running in opposite directions.
Rubber roofs are being pushed as it involves no naked flame. £210 a month it costs for fire insurance so a lot of roofers are not getting it. The problems with rubber roofs is if it springs a leak and it’s not obvious where it is it becomes a guessing game.

yes, I am that interesting......

Double garage pitched roof is fucked after the winter storms. Think the builder used rabbit hutch felt. It’s a big double - anyone had a roofer replace similar recently and know if the £1500 quote I’ve had sounds off the mark.

Don't bother with the green mineral felt as you'll be replacing it in a few years.
EPMD all the way.

A flat roof is a terrible design but EPMD will outdo green mineral felt
The main problem is no one fits it correctly. You can’t lay it on a roof that has had felt on previous. It can only be laid on new marine ply. To strip and ply the op’s double garage will be well over £2000 to get it to that stage. Then there is the price of the Epmd and to fit it. Then the seams need to be re sealed every 5 year with a seam sealer kit. You would be looking at £5k done properly.
What they will do is strip the felt off and lay the EPDM over the top, the bitumen will eventually eat its way through the rubber causing several leaks within 3 year, that’s if they mange to get the felt off without damaging the timber and a splinter doesn’t puncture it. Firestone will come out and knock the guarantee back.
The items are shit.
The flashing are shit.
Like I said earlier it’s only become popular with councils because it’s a cold fitting.
Decathane liquid plastics is the way forward but at £55 a square meter people are put off. It is getting cheaper though.

The main problem is no one fits it correctly. You can’t lay it on a roof that has had felt on previous. It can only be laid on new marine ply. To strip and ply the op’s double garage will be well over £2000 to get it to that stage. Then there is the price of the Epmd and to fit it. Then the seams need to be re sealed every 5 year with a seam sealer kit. You would be looking at £5k done properly.
What they will do is strip the felt off and lay the EPDM over the top, the bitumen will eventually eat its way through the rubber causing several leaks within 3 year, that’s if they mange to get the felt off without damaging the timber and a splinter doesn’t puncture it. Firestone will come out and knock the guarantee back.
The items are shit.
The flashing are shit.
Like I said earlier it’s only become popular with councils because it’s a cold fitting.
Decathane liquid plastics is the way forward but at £55 a square meter people are put off. It is getting cheaper though.

I've no seams on mine but looking back at the op it's mentioned his is a double.
When my roof was replaced they fitted new waterproof boards, I can't imagine any roofer worth his salt would fit directly over bitumen for half a job.
Although I realise there's plenty cowboys out there.

Back