Rent Advice

I've been renting a property for a couple of years. The letting agent has rang me this morning to say I've been a month ahead with my rent payments and therefore no payment is needed next month.

I've gone through my bank statements and have always paid a month in advance as I assumed this was common practise - I pay at the beginning of the month for the full month.

By not paying next month, I am reverting to a system where I pay in arrears and therefore pay at the end of month rather than the beginning - is this normal in the experience of SMB'ers?

I've been renting a property for a couple of years. The letting agent has rang me this morning to say I've been a month ahead with my rent payments and therefore no payment is needed next month.

I've gone through my bank statements and have always paid a month in advance as I assumed this was common practise - I pay at the beginning of the month for the full month.

By not paying next month, I am reverting to a system where I pay in arrears and therefore pay at the end of month rather than the beginning - is this normal in the experience of SMB'ers?
Most cases I`ve come across rent is paid a month in advance for residential property.

Just be careful this isn't a ploy to get you out. Check your contract/ letting agreement.

Just be careful this isn't a ploy to get you out. Check your contract/ letting agreement.

We're officially out of contract at the moment as the contract ended in March and we are now on a rolling monthly contract. It would seem a bit of an elaborate way to go about it considering all they'd need to do is give us notice.

I would question it myself. Just say you always have paid in advance, so are they sure there's an issue?

Most letting agents I've encountered aren't the sharpest tools in the shed so its entirely possible they've no idea what's going on :lol:

Did you pay the first month's rent at the same time as the deposit and then another month's before moving in? Might explain it.

Paying in advance is definitely standard practice but it will definitely say when rent is due in your contract so make sure you are following what that says and ignore the letting agent if their advice contradicts.

I would question it myself. Just say you always have paid in advance, so are they sure there's an issue?

Most letting agents I've encountered aren't the sharpest tools in the shed so its entirely possible they've no idea what's going on :lol:

Definitely this. By the sounds of it they're in the wrong. If you've been paying by direct debit or standing order I've got no idea how you could have overpaid.

We're officially out of contract at the moment as the contract ended in March and we are now on a rolling monthly contract. It would seem a bit of an elaborate way to go about it considering all they'd need to do is give us notice.
Have you asked for or have they asked you to sign a new contract?

Definitely this. By the sounds of it they're in the wrong. If you've been paying by direct debit or standing order I've got no idea how you could have overpaid.

And how many landlords/agents will say "Lol yeh its cool m8 just wire me the money when you get a chance lmao."

Did you pay the first month's rent at the same time as the deposit and then another month's before moving in? Might explain it.

Paying in advance is definitely standard practice but it will definitely say when rent is due in your contract so make sure you are following what that says and ignore the letting agent if their advice contradicts.

When we moved in, we paid the deposit and 6 weeks rent to take us up until the end of the following month, and then standing order was set up on the 30th of each month following to hit their account for the 1st of each month.

I've checked our most recent contract and it states payment in advance. I think the confusion has arisen from 2 payments going out in March due to February not having a 30th day.

I've questioned it with them.
Have you asked for or have they asked you to sign a new contract?

No, but to be honest this isn't the first time that we've been rolling before signing a new contract so I don't see anything too concerning about this. They usually inspect before renewing and due to COVID-19 I don't think they've been doing inspections.

Last edited:

Back