Removal men cost

If I'm worried about completing in a chain the last thing I want is to fuck about heaving sofas and dining tables around
Well that's the type of thing you have to consider like. There's a few of us that have helped each other move in the past and it's gone without any bother. The whole set up of buying/selling/moving a house needs a total rethink in this country mind imo.

We did this. Bit of hard graft for the day but it can be a bit of a laugh and you get to drive a van! No bother if the distance isn't too far.
Did this with all my moves (4) the second was from Sunderland to London, the third back to Sunderland, the secrets in how you pack the van.

Did this with all my moves (4) the second was from Sunderland to London, the third back to Sunderland, the secrets in how you pack the van.
I think people have a misplaced confidence in removal people's due care and attention tbh. I've heard plenty of negative stories regarding them to think if possible I might aswell do it myself. Whilst London to Sunderland sounds mental I see no problem with a few mates doing a days worth of trips if the distance between points is only 5 miles or so. Like you say, there's no skill or technique in carrying a settee in and out of a house. My mate had a corner settee when he moved so I had to dismantle it and put it back together at the other end. Dont know what a removal company would have done there. The twat replaced it anyway a month later mind. :lol:

I think people have a misplaced confidence in removal people's due care and attention tbh. I've heard plenty of negative stories regarding them to think if possible I might aswell do it myself. Whilst London to Sunderland sounds mental I see no problem with a few mates doing a days worth of trips if the distance between points is only 5 miles or so. Like you say, there's no skill or technique in carrying a settee in and out of a house. My mate had a corner settee when he moved so I had to dismantle it and put it back together at the other end. Dont know what a removal company would have done there. The twat replaced it anyway a month later mind. :lol:
Well I suppose the point Monkey mentioned about insurance, It's well worth having, but other than that, like you say, it's not really hard, the only difference moving to London or back again, was the drive mate, otherwise no different to my moves in Sunderland.

They’d have dismantled it and put it back together. The people who done our move took all the furniture apart and put it back together.

Never used them before. How much am I looking at ball park for a medium sized 3 bed house/flat.
From where you are to where you’re going two grand tops. Think we paid about 1500 for a similar move two years ago. It was the middle of the quotes we got- it’s not just about price, it’s about trust.

Last edited by a moderator:
From where you are to where you’re going two grand tops. Think we paid about 1500 for a similar move two years ago. It was the middle of the quotes we got- it’s not just about price, it’s about trust.
Christ. I should become a removal man.

That quote also included packing and boxing up the entire contents of a house which you can do yourself, but as ever it’s a trade off between time/stress and money. We decided to make it easier for ourselves.
Christ. I should become a removal man.
London rates I’m afraid.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did this for a living a good few years back. Hard graft indeed.

Seriously pay for the pro's.
My most expensive move was Sunderland to the south coast. Three days in total: a day to pack, a day to drive, a day to unpack. Eye-watering. But good lads and trustworthy and yes they were grafters.

Before you move make sure that you get rid of all your unwanted furniture and belongings. We have just started this process as we plan to move during the summer. Got rid of the unnecessary furniture from the sitting room a couple of weeks ago when we got a charity shop to collect it. Just going to keep on going through cupboards and drawers to get a head start on boxing off things that we won’t need between now and the move.

Leave plenty of time for sorting clothes and toys as they can be a nightmare.

We moved in October, pack everything in boxes. Bubble wrap any decent bits of furniture you don’t want scratching such as the dining table and tv. We had everything ready. Took two trips though as we couldn’t fit it all in one. We went for a firm which charged by the hour and it worked out better. Only cost us £150.

That’s the north east though.

Why not I've done it this way before and it works out great.
When we moved, the house were moving in did this. Owld fella with 2 of his mates with a transit van doing several runs to empty their shit out. Delayed us moving in by about 4 hours as we had to wait for them to get all their shit out before getting the keys off them and moving our stuff in. Meant the lads from the removal company we used were sat about for ages with fuck all to do

I've moved a good few times over the years and done it both ways, on our own and then hired pros. I would advise that if the move is long distance then get quotes from companies at both ends as someone in Sunderland will be cheaper than in the South for the same move.

I'd only trust people who come to the property and give a written quote as in the past I've had removers turn up then try to hold you to ransom on the doorstep claiming there is more property than expected. There can be some range in the quotes given.

Last time we moved, we used a local firm. They were sick as fuck by the end of the job. Will be using Pickford or Churchill next time and let them do the packing.

Back