Remaining friendlies

we are haing four pre season friendlies..same as most other years for the past decade. Where you have got 2 from?

what? we have the same number as last year...and this year the playwers should be fitter as they played for longer with the play offs..jack ross said they have come back quite fit.
Exactly. Last year we looked unfit, couldn't sustain any sort of pressure, had to sit back and hold on to what we had. It was embarrassing how underprepared we were.

It;s not 2 games to be fully fit though is it? We've played 3 out of 5 so by next Saturday it''ll be 5 games to get fully fit etc
Exactly ancient gadgees like me will remember pre seasons in late 50s consisted of training at the beach and games mixing 1st team and reserves .

Our season didn't finish till May bank holiday weekend, so basically the players have had 11 weeks to the start of the new season. I wonder if thats something to do with the number of friendlies

I'm surprised by how few we've arranged, even more so because we came back 10 days later than most teams. I would like to say Ross knows what he's doing and we just have to trust him but I don't believe that. There must be closed door games we aren't aware of her.

That's precisely why. Given that you'll need at least a week of fitness training before the first friendly, there are simply fewer available slots. And, if we came back earlier, the players wouldn't really have had enough time to rest after the playoffs.

That's precisely why. Given that you'll need at least a week of fitness training before the first friendly, there are simply fewer available slots. And, if we came back earlier, the players wouldn't really have had enough time to rest after the playoffs.
You would think we are the only club to have finished the season later than anyone else. Most clubs had internationals still playing in June. Charlton were back 10 days before us.

4 friendlies for a squad of 23/24 is madness. How are they going to get properly fit. Shit pre season usually = shit season. The first month of the season is arguably the most difficult as well.

Well, I'm concerned in as much that with two weeks to go it looks like we are using players to gel, mold a team but still bring in loanees to take their places. A few of those who played yesterday will be bench warmers as there is still no coherent plan of how we link play up to the two forwards who hopefully , I say hopefully, as I'm not at all convinced Grigg or Wyke will score 15 goals let alone 35 over the course of the season..
JR needs recruits but his comments about one in, one out terrify me for the coming season. He needs players in , not next week of the week after, he needs them now . As we were told numerous times, by Cattermole going this would free up wages to bring in the 8-9 players that are clearly needed, Oviedo the same. For me, you can see the mistakes being made, this from years and years experience as a Sunderland supporter and seeing it unfolding yet again. Yes, its going to be an interesting next two weeks.

You would think we are the only club to have finished the season later than anyone else. Most clubs had internationals still playing in June. Charlton were back 10 days before us.

4 friendlies for a squad of 23/24 is madness. How are they going to get properly fit. Shit pre season usually = shit season. The first month of the season is arguably the most difficult as well.
Well we will of had 5 and we didn't start last season to badly

Exactly. Last year we looked unfit, couldn't sustain any sort of pressure, had to sit back and hold on to what we had. It was embarrassing how underprepared we were.
You arent allowed to question anything, if you do you have an agenda.

Well, I'm concerned in as much that with two weeks to go it looks like we are using players to gel, mold a team but still bring in loanees to take their places. A few of those who played yesterday will be bench warmers as there is still no coherent plan of how we link play up to the two forwards who hopefully , I say hopefully, as I'm not at all convinced Grigg or Wyke will score 15 goals let alone 35 over the course of the season..
JR needs recruits but his comments about one in, one out terrify me for the coming season. He needs players in , not next week of the week after, he needs them now . As we were told numerous times, by Cattermole going this would free up wages to bring in the 8-9 players that are clearly needed, Oviedo the same. For me, you can see the mistakes being made, this from years and years experience as a Sunderland supporter and seeing it unfolding yet again. Yes, its going to be an interesting next two weeks.
Agree

Last edited:
Only 2 more games left until the start of the new season.

I've said all along we hadn't arranged enough preseason games. I think we are going to be seriously under cooked come the first game of the season.

Are we going to be ready?

Is 2 games enough to be the fully fit, integrate the players and develop a new system?

No where near ready, common sense tells you that.

When we finished 10th under Bruce in the prem that summer of 2010 we played 6 pre season games, similar the same under keanes management, 6 seems about right to me, to be honest, but frankly it seems to me it's the managements choice, but if Ross decides the amount he wants and we don't start with a bang folks will question the amount of games.

Last edited by a moderator:
why isnt it enough-cgiven how the late the season finished there conditoning shouldnt have dropped that much..and of course there are training games..

If the training games are fairly intense then ok, but if the squad is rotated in friendlies , then its possible some players starting vs Oxford will 2 and half games under the belt. Conditioning cardio training is far more advance now, but you usually need 4-5 games to feel that you're peaking.

Only 2 more games left until the start of the new season.

I've said all along we hadn't arranged enough preseason games. I think we are going to be seriously under cooked come the first game of the season.

Are we going to be ready?

Is 2 games enough to be the fully fit, integrate the players and develop a new system?
We have 5 friendlies the same as last season, it’s plenty of games

Hows it null at void? Do we still only have 2 left?

Also do you know anything about this behind close door game? Who did we play? Which players featured? How long was the game for?

11 v 11 and 90 minutes played, same as if there were spectators watching :lol:

Just about every club in England has 5 friendliest as do we. Good to know that all these professional clubs and their physios and professional fitness staff are wrong and random internet people are correct

Back