REM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Murmur hasn't aged well at all.

Givower man they're a crackin beat combo.
White text?

Since its release, Murmur has featured heavily in various "must have" lists compiled by the music media. In 1989, it was rated number eight on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 100 greatest albums of the 1980s.[27] In 2003, the TV network VH1 named Murmur the 92nd greatest album of all time. Some of the more prominent of these lists to feature Murmur are shown below; this information is adapted from acclaimedmusic.net.

Publication Country Accolade Year Rank
Rolling Stone US Top 100 Albums of the Last 20 Years[28] 1987 #58
Spin US 100 Alternative Albums[29] 1995 #8
Pitchfork Media US Top 100 Albums of the 1980s[30] 2002 #5
Rolling Stone US The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time[31] 2003 #197
Blender US 500 CDs You Must Own Before You Die[32] 2003
Q UK The 40 Best Records of the 80s[33] 2006 #6
Mojo UK The 100 Records That Changed the World[34] 2007 #75
Slant Magazine US Best Albums of the 1980s[35] 2012 #13
Rolling Stone US The 100 Best Debut Albums of All Time[36]

;)

White text?

Since its release, Murmur has featured heavily in various "must have" lists compiled by the music media. In 1989, it was rated number eight on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 100 greatest albums of the 1980s.[27] In 2003, the TV network VH1 named Murmur the 92nd greatest album of all time. Some of the more prominent of these lists to feature Murmur are shown below; this information is adapted from acclaimedmusic.net.

Publication Country Accolade Year Rank
Rolling Stone US Top 100 Albums of the Last 20 Years[28] 1987 #58
Spin US 100 Alternative Albums[29] 1995 #8
Pitchfork Media US Top 100 Albums of the 1980s[30] 2002 #5
Rolling Stone US The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time[31] 2003 #197
Blender US 500 CDs You Must Own Before You Die[32] 2003
Q UK The 40 Best Records of the 80s[33] 2006 #6
Mojo UK The 100 Records That Changed the World[34] 2007 #75
Slant Magazine US Best Albums of the 1980s[35] 2012 #13
Rolling Stone US The 100 Best Debut Albums of All Time[36]

;)
They're voting for it as they remember it at the time not how it actually is.......and of course they've got to vote for it as everyone else is and they're scared to be different to others in the world of music criticism. That's how the popular music business works.

This one goes out to the one I love and Drive are two of my all time favourite tracks.

Orange Crush is also a brilliant song.

Last edited:
Shiny Happy people is shite. They disowned it as a band. :D

You want to hear them at their best post IRS

Country Feedback
Find the river
Let me in
Ebow the letter

:cool:

Peter Buck was a Byrds devotee

Country Feedback man. What a song. Brilliant. Love Let Me In as well for how hauntingly brilliant a posthumous message it was to Kurt.

Gone off them. Used to love them covered S Central Rain in one band and Fall On Me in another. Too much for me now. Don't know whether it's because I don't want to live in the past or because stipey started to annoy me and seems overly obtuse and sings like larry the lamb or just because they lost it when bill left

Sang with R.E.M. me.

Well, if you count catching the mic when Michael threw it into the crowd at the Stirling Castle gig in '99 :cool:

Fantastic band, fantastic catalogue. Ridiculously good live

Was lucky enough to be at all three.

Feeder, Stereolab & Teenage Fanclub respectively supporting on each occasion.

First night it pissed it down.

Second night had a glorious beautiful sunset behind the crowd that Stipe halted the gig for to get the audience to turn 180 degrees around to witness what he & the band were seeing.

Third night. Teenage Fanclub supported :cool:

Was lucky enough to be at all three.

Feeder, Stereolab & Teenage Fanclub respectively supporting on each occasion.

First night it pissed it down.

Second night had a glorious beautiful sunset behind the crowd that Stipe halted the gig for to get the audience to turn 180 degrees around to witness what he & the band were seeing.

Third night. Teenage Fanclub supported :cool:
Was the third night I was at then, thought the Fannies were class too.

Me and our lass queued for about four hours at the bottom of the hill before they opened the gates to let everyone in. Once they opened it, made her run up the hill and got right to the front, hanging over the crush barrier.

I took a disposable camera, nee digital or camera phones then. Got some class pictures :cool:

Oh and I got the set list off Peter Buck that was sellotaped onto the floor next to his monitor :lol: one of the best gigs I've ever been too

I always think it was a shame their career went on about 10 years too long as the quality of the last few albums was low imo.

Still think top 3 is Document, Green and Automatic

I always think it was a shame their career went on about 10 years too long as the quality of the last few albums was low imo.
although i like most of their stuff, the later material was poor in comparison. You could still probably cobble together one topper record from the best bits of a couple at a time like. Stipe had smoked too many fags, mike mills counter vocals all but gone, their orignal sound faded etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back