Religion of peace

A phrase so often used as an insult but what an incredible man this is. Wife is killed in the NZ terror attack and he has the strength to not only forgive him but say that he could help peace in the future.....This man is a better man than I ever could be and if it is his religion that allows to do this then as an atheist I have to accept that religion gives some people strength that I certainly couldnt and wouldnt have.

The more people from all sides are able to react to extremism and extremists in this way the better the world will be and it perhaps gives me a little hope that the world is not as fucked as I thought it was when watching those terrible scenes this week.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-asia-47602781/chris

A phrase so often used as an insult but what an incredible man this is. Wife is killed in the NZ terror attack and he has the strength to not only forgive him but say that he could help peace in the future.....This man is a better man than I ever could be and if it is his religion that allows to do this then as an atheist I have to accept that religion gives some people strength that I certainly couldnt and wouldnt have.

The more people from all sides are able to react to extremism and extremists in this way the better the world will be and it perhaps gives me a little hope that the world is not as fucked as I thought it was when watching those terrible scenes this week.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-asia-47602781/chris
A hero ! As so many others. Everybody in this world is /should be equal. Unfortunately some are blinded by religion/ideology. Make all religions (Catholicism, Judaism, etc.) and all ideologies (Islam, Scientology, etc) illegal and then the world will be a peaceful place where all people can live together

A hero ! As so many others. Everybody in this world is /should be equal. Unfortunately some are blinded by religion/ideology. Make all religions (Catholicism, Judaism, etc.) and all ideologies (Islam, Scientology, etc) illegal and then the world will be a peaceful place where all people can live together
Aye, making people’s beliefs illegal is a sure fire way to assure peace!

There is a lot of bad in religion but there is lot of good and people who become better people because of religion. You would never get rid of institutionalised religion, this is why I always find the argument of 'Get rid of religion' a pointless one. Only the good people within a religion can shape religion to be better by doing it from within that religion. People who see the shit between religions(including their own), see the hypocrisy in religion, the twisting of scripture, of the damnation of those who are not one of them, etc.
Sadly this is just a pipe dream also but good religious people must never give up the fight to make this world a more peaceful world.
I was brought up in a very strict, Catholic background, never miss church, celebrate every holy day, etc. I don't go to church now but the teachings of Jesus always keep me right in life.;) I found the church is within, that's where I get my guidance in life and how to promote love and not hate.

Last edited:
People can be strong people with or without religion. It's a common saying tjat "there are no atheists in foxholes" but that is insulting to atheists in wartime situations because it implies that but for religion they would be cowards.

The killer doesn't deserve his forgiveness, but that's Mr Ahmed's right, if it was me though I couldn't ever forgive anyone if an innocent member of my family was killed.

There is a lot of bad in religion but there is lot more good and people who become better people because of religion. You would never get rid of institutionalised religion, this is why I always find the argument of 'Get rid of religion' a pointless one. Only the good people within a religion can shape religion to be better by doing it from within that religion. People who see the shit between religions(including their own), see the hypocrisy in religion, the twisting of scripture, of the damnation of those who are not one of them, etc.
Sadly this is just a pipe dream also but good religious people must never give up the fight to make this world a more peaceful world.
I was brought up in a very strict, Catholic background, never miss church, celebrate every holy day, etc. I don't go to church now but the teachings of Jesus always keep me right in life.;) I found the church is within, that's where I get my guidance in life and how to promote love and not hate.
Only one word tidied

Sadly, it’s the bad that gets the headlines

People can be strong people with or without religion. It's a common saying tjat "there are no atheists in foxholes" but that is insulting to atheists in wartime situations because it implies that but for religion they would be cowards.
I totally agree. The are some atheists out there who can put many preachers to same buy the example they set in life and how we should be as a person, when it comes to good morals, ethics, values and how to conduct yourself as a person.

As a believer in God, I believe they will be rewarded more by God, than many who proclaim that they follow God correctly.

Only one word tidied

Sadly, it’s the bad that gets the headlines
There are some wonderful people in religion and some great church communities around the world, who do wonderful things to help others less fortunate. This man in the headlines above, is a perfect example of how a person applies their belief in a correct way.

Alreet Mr J Lennon..
:lol:Canny.:lol:

Last edited:
I can’t see how being angry about anything benefits you at all and I’ve had many a debate with my lass over this.

She gets annoyed about things and I’ve tried to explain to her that it’s doing her no good. She is of the opinion that she doesn’t want to suppress her anger and I can’t get my head around that.

Obviously anger will always happen but I think it is healthy to let things go as quickly as possible.

In this instance I find it hard to believe that the bloke is telling the truth. I’m of course not having a dig because he is using this as a way of coping with his grief rather than being in a complete state of panic and grief. I really sympathise with him as he must be in terrible shock and who am I to say how it should manifest itself.

Back